Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BESR with SQL replication

ca
Level 3
Accredited

Hi

does anyone use BESR 8.0.x on win2003 with SQL 2000 and a SQL level replication running (on same server)?

i have a possible issue of hanging BESR job and SQL DB due to this

CA

7 REPLIES 7

aychekay
Level 5
Partner

I'm wondering if you could elaborate a tiny bit on what you mean by "SQL level replication".

I'm more of a networking/Server technician than I am a SQL guy but I know that quite a few of our servers are running SQL Server 2000 or SQL Server 2005. I kind of doubt that any of them are doing replication but I could ask our in-house SQL expert.

Are there any obvious clues that lead you to believe that SQL is part of the problem? Anything in your event viewer? Does the whole OS seem to hang?

ca
Level 3
Accredited

Hi and happy new year to you !!

i'm also on the same catagory as you (server guy and not a DB guy)

this is on a test setup simulating the actual server setup.

what happens is a SQL 2000 server does a DB level replication to a seperate SQL server (realtime)

the customer observed DB level hanging and BESR job (incremantal hourly) also stopes @ 5%

but not the OS

also another test server with same OS & SQL versions without the SQL replications runs ok

CA

aychekay
Level 5
Partner
I'm going to make a guess that it's related to the Volume Shadow Copy services/components that might be involved in the SQL Replication. I wouldn't know how to resolve it though.

aychekay
Level 5
Partner
Our SQL expert informed me that SQL 2000 most likely doesn't use Volume Shadow Copy. Is it possibly a resource problem? Does the server have plenty of power?

ca
Level 3
Accredited

thanks, and sorry for the delay, (most of our customers got hit by a virus)

well the server has enough resources. problem happens only to C drive where the SQL is in

Jon_R
Level 6
Employee Accredited
As far as I've seen, SQL 2000 does not support VSS. The solution would be to write a pair of command files to stop SQL prior to the backup and one to start it after the snapshot is complete.

ca
Level 3
Accredited

Hi 

http://support.veritas.com/docs/293563 says this problem,

thanks for the support, 

hoping to upgrade to SQL2005 

ca