Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BESR2010 - Extremely slow logins?

sukotto
Level 2
Partner Accredited

Hi!

Been using BESR on my laptops for a while now.  Have upgraded to BESR2010, and I've noticed extreme disk activity when loggin in.  It can take anywhere between 3-5 minutes for the laptop to become fully usable.

I've observed this behavior now on two different laptops.  Both have different hardware configurations, but run Windows 7 and TrueCrypt for disk encyrption.  I've also confirmed it's BESR through multipe uninstalls and reinstalls.  The time improves significantly with the removal of BESR.

Before I go looking for a different solution, as I do like BESR quite a bit, is there anything that can be done?  The performance when first booting and logging in is truly unacceptable, considering both machines are neither old nor low-end.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.  My searching hasn't returned anything that has helped at this point.

Thanks!

12 REPLIES 12

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Are the BESR jobs configured to run when a user logs on ?

juliew9855
Not applicable

Hi !
I've just visited this forum. Happy to get acquainted with you. Thanks.

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Any updates ?

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Any updates here ?

sukotto
Level 2
Partner Accredited

Hi Markus,

All apologies for the delays in response.

At this point, there are no known jobs that run on login.  I haven't configured any jobs, and a quick examination of the console doesn't reveal anything, but I could be mistaken.

That said, I'm on completely different hardware now, no encryption, but still seeing similar results.  I haven't had much time to dig into it lately though.

Thanks!

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Any updates here ?

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Any updates here ?

sukotto
Level 2
Partner Accredited

Nothing major to report.

I have recently rebuilt one of my laptops that suddenly was no longer having this issue.  It is now having the issue again, but I this time I cannot pin it on BESR2010.  As I'm currently traveling, I won't have time to even think about looking into this until next week.

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Have you had a chance to dig into this problem ?

katewre
Not applicable

so happy to visit the forum.i hope know more friends from here.

eve isk

Dushan_Gomez
Level 6

yes please update thisthread with thesolution so that people can learn from your experience :)

Jon_Sumida
Level 5

Funny Symantec support forums has bots on it.

It is my experience with BESR 2010 that there will be an initial slowness with a user log on as BESR is "scanning disks". If you hover your mouse pointer over the BESR icon in your system tray when you log on to Windows you will see it is doing this. I assume it's scanning to determine your disk(s) backup status as it displays it afterwards.