Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BESRO 8.5 vs. BE 12d + Exchange Agent in backing up Exchange Server 2007

Symanticus
Level 6

Hi,

I'm just confused of which one is performing better for my situation,

I've got this configuration:

Windows Server 2003 Std R2 SP2 x64 (Domain Controller)

Exchange Server 2007 SP1 Std (HT + CAS + MB Server)

if I install BESRO 8.5 into that server and performing full backup every day, would that be sufficient enough to backup Exchange Server 2007 ?

or is there any difference with installing BE Agent for Exchange 2007 into that Server and performing the backup ?

because at the moment I'm doing the backup with onle NTBackup utility without committing the transaction log at all ever since installation.

Thanks. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Jon_R
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Each of the two options achieves something different. The Exchange agent would back up the Exchange database and is more useful when recovering deleted mailboxes and mail messages. BESRO would back up the entire server in a way which would allow you to recover from a critical hardware or software failure. The Exchange agent can help recover from a hardware or software failure, but requires that you have an Exchange server running on which to place the information.

BESRO in addition to GRO would allow for some flexibility as far as restoring mailboxes and messages from Exchange. GRO requires full system images, however, meaning that it would take up much more space to use BESRO and GRO as a solution.

Message Edited by Jon_R on 12-05-2008 10:59 AM

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Jon_R
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Each of the two options achieves something different. The Exchange agent would back up the Exchange database and is more useful when recovering deleted mailboxes and mail messages. BESRO would back up the entire server in a way which would allow you to recover from a critical hardware or software failure. The Exchange agent can help recover from a hardware or software failure, but requires that you have an Exchange server running on which to place the information.

BESRO in addition to GRO would allow for some flexibility as far as restoring mailboxes and messages from Exchange. GRO requires full system images, however, meaning that it would take up much more space to use BESRO and GRO as a solution.

Message Edited by Jon_R on 12-05-2008 10:59 AM

Symanticus
Level 6

Thanks John,

that's answering my question for now :)

Cheers,