cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BSOD After Restore Anywhere

undejj
Level 3
Hello! I plan to use BESR 8.5 in a disaster recovery scenario for my company. To test and become familiar with the product and its configuration options, I have installed BESR to a Windows 2003 R2 Server with SQL Server 2005. The server has two RAID controllers - #1 RAID controller is part of the MB BIOS and has two HDD attached in RAID 1 for C Drive. #2 RAID controller is Adaptec card and it has three HDD attached in RAID 5 for F Drive. I successfully installed BESR 8.5 on the above server and created "system" images (both drives). Now I would like to use these images to move this system to different hardware. The new hardware has only one RAID controller with two HDD attached in RAID 1. Two drives have been formatted on the RAID - C and F. - I created a SRD with drivers for the new RAID controller. - I copied the image files from the first server to a USB HDD. - I plugged USB HDD into new server and booted with SRD. - I selected Recovery My Computer and picked a System Image from the USB HDD. - I selected Restore Anywhere. - After 30 minutes, it completes with no errors. When I reboot the system, the Windows Server 2003 Splash screen displays and the progress bar begins to move but after a few seconds, the progress bar freezes and then BSOD is displayed for a split second before the system reboots. BSOD is not on the screen long enough for me to get an error code. I have tried this numerous times, each time trying different option - MBR, Boot drive, delete drivers, mini-setup - I have tried every possible combination. Also tried different image files since I have more than one base image file. Also tried to restore only C Drive. Every time is the same result - BSOD. Any help would be appreciated.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

undejj
Level 3
Here is what I did to make it work - and, incidently, after it worked the first time, I went back and retried some of the other ways that had failed before just to make sure that this was the only way that worked: 1. Booted the target system to the Custom SRD that I created supposedly containing drivers for the target system. 2. Once in the SRD environment, I chose to Add Drivers and I added drivers for the RAID and the NIC and a couple others. 3. I chose to Restore Anywhere with PFD and Mini-Setup options. 4. Once the recovery was underway, I was prompted for drivers. Each time, I pointed to the proper file and it would not accept the driver and prompted me again. I did this over and over until finally selecting Ignore and moving on to the next driver prompt where I repeated the process. 5. Once recovery finished, I rebooted the system and it booted into Windows Mini-Setup where I was not prompted for anything and the setup completed successfully on its own, eventually bringing me to a Windows login prompt. 6. Logged onto Windows where I discovered that out of the four drivers that I provided, the RAID driver is the only one that was installed. No matter how many times I loaded or tried to load the NIC driver and the other two, I still had to install them from within Windows. And with the absense of the NIC driver, I had to log on with a local account because the computer is not joined to the domain. Thanks AJT and Marco for your help on this one! Any additional comments are welcome ..

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

AJT
Level 6

Boot to the SRD on the system that's having the problem and load it's system registry hive. Navigate to the follow registry value and set it to 0: HKLM\<YourHiveName>\ControlSet001\Control\CrashControl\AutoReboot

If both the source and target machine have the same raid controller, you can try creating a custom SRD from the source machine and use it to restore to the target machine.

OR

You could find the driver for the target machine and hold down the ctrl key while selecting Restore Anyware and select Prompt For Drivers and when prompted supply your driver.

If you are getting a BSOD 7B, then the target machine doesn’t like the raid driver that Retarget is using.
Hope This Helps :)

marcogsp
Level 6
Please refer to this technote on how to access the "Delete Existing Drivers" and "Prompt for Devices" options. Most likely the -DED option will take care of this issue, but have your driver sources handy just in case you need -PFD

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/293847.htm

undejj
Level 3
The SRD that I am using was created on the source machine and I added the driver for the new RAID, which is not like either of the RAID drivers on the source machine. I have tried every combination of options, including the hidden options -DED and -PFD. When -PFD is used, I am never prompted for drivers - it goes to the same BSOD just like every other time.

AJT
Level 6
Are you getting a BSOD 7B? Are these SCSI or SATA raid drives? If they are SATA then maybe booting into the BIOS and selecting a different SATA operation mode will help.

marcogsp
Level 6
undejj -- Could you please tell us what the drive controller of the target system is?  I think AJT my be on the right track if it is indeed an AHCI compliant SATA RAID controller.  I've been working on porting a Dell Dimension 5150 BESR image to a Dell Optiplex 760. I finally got it to work today. I was getting the same too blipping fast to read BSOD condition as you and continuous reboots.  This is what fixed it:
  • Went into the BIOS and selected ATA mode
  • Rebooted with my custom SRD
  • Restored the BESR image using Restore Anyware and sucessfully rebooted
  • Copied the Intel Matrix drivers to a convenient folder
  • Booted into safe mode and went into Device Manager
  • Right clicked on the first Primary IDE controller and chose Update Driver
  • Chose Have Disk and browsed out to the IaStor.inf file
  • Choose Intel(R) ICH10D/D0 SATA AHCI Controller.
  • Finished the Install and rebooted
  • Went into the BIOS and renabled AHCI
  • Rebooted into the OS successfully.
I wish I could take credit for figuring this out, but I found the solution for my situation on another forum site.  Maybe you can adapt this fix to get you going.

Marco

undejj
Level 3
I am going to try Marco's suggestion. I have encountered this behavior in the past when imaging systems that use AHCI SATA drivers, but it has been a while so it took this forum to jog my memory. I will let you know how it goes. Another thing - I have created two custom SRDs - one I created on the target system with Windows and BESR loaded. The other SRD I created on the host system and I chose the option to include the AHCI drivers for the RAID controller on the target system. In both instances, if I browse the SRD, the AHCI drivers are not there.

undejj
Level 3
Here is what I did to make it work - and, incidently, after it worked the first time, I went back and retried some of the other ways that had failed before just to make sure that this was the only way that worked: 1. Booted the target system to the Custom SRD that I created supposedly containing drivers for the target system. 2. Once in the SRD environment, I chose to Add Drivers and I added drivers for the RAID and the NIC and a couple others. 3. I chose to Restore Anywhere with PFD and Mini-Setup options. 4. Once the recovery was underway, I was prompted for drivers. Each time, I pointed to the proper file and it would not accept the driver and prompted me again. I did this over and over until finally selecting Ignore and moving on to the next driver prompt where I repeated the process. 5. Once recovery finished, I rebooted the system and it booted into Windows Mini-Setup where I was not prompted for anything and the setup completed successfully on its own, eventually bringing me to a Windows login prompt. 6. Logged onto Windows where I discovered that out of the four drivers that I provided, the RAID driver is the only one that was installed. No matter how many times I loaded or tried to load the NIC driver and the other two, I still had to install them from within Windows. And with the absense of the NIC driver, I had to log on with a local account because the computer is not joined to the domain. Thanks AJT and Marco for your help on this one! Any additional comments are welcome ..