cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Back Exec System Recovery 2010 Granular restore option - Error: Unable to mount all of the required images

Sysadmins_ITW
Level 4

I have the same problem described here: https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/back-exec-system-recovery-2010-granular-restore-optio...

My situation is :

• SBS 2003 R2 SP2
  • BESR 2010 SP2
  • USB EXTERNAL DISK for backups

I upgraded BESR to SP2 this evening than I did a NEW full backup on a different new directory.

NOTHING!!! It's impossible to use this features! Always the same error "Unable to mount all of the required images"

Any ideas!? ...Any patch?!

Thank you all!

L.

19 REPLIES 19

criley
Employee Accredited

The first thing to check is:

Attempt to mount EACH recovery point via windows explorer (right-click on the .v2i file and choose mount). Does that work or do you see an error?

Sysadmins_ITW
Level 4

Yes, it's possible to mount each single recovery point via explorer.

I tryed also to copy files from recovery points and it's also possible.

See attachments. The second one says (more ore less):

• Network problems (it's not possible, it's a USB disk);
  • Reload recovery point.

L.

criley
Employee Accredited

So you are seeing an error when trying to restore some files from G: ? Could be related to that.

Reproduce the original error again (I assume you are trying to use the Exchange granular restore feature?) and then check to see what errors show in the system/application event logs at the same time.

Sysadmins_ITW
Level 4

No, I'm trying to restore files, no mails. I receive the same error when I try to restore files also in other drives than G:

No errors are present in event log Application nor System.

L.

criley
Employee Accredited

OK, I was under the impression you were using this for Exchange restores.

If you are only interested in file level restores, why not use the recovery point browser? This process does not require the recovery points to be mounted (unlike GRO).

Let us know if that works or not.

Sysadmins_ITW
Level 4

Sorry Chris, what about if I want to restore emails? GRO doesn't function also for that kind of restore!

And more... Is GRO feature present on the data sheet of BESR? Yes!.... Did I pay the granular restore option?! Yes! ... Then I want to use it!

On this forum I can read about hundreds people that have problems with this option, and I have problems with this option on ALL SERVERS where this option is installed.

Look at this case 412-871-176 (Unable to granular restore issue with exchange get in error message...)!!! Opened september 30th, 2010! Never closed! Isseue never resolved!

The real matter is : is Symantec able to make this option functioning or not?

I need to use GRO but It's never possible from my point of view. Has Symantec a solution?

L.

criley
Employee Accredited

I fully understand your point but I was just trying to offer you a workaround. It would also be interesting to see if the recovery point browser actually works or not (this test would also narrow down the problem to possibly just GRO). So, can you test this and report back with the results?

Some more questions:

1. How many servers are affected?

2. What error do you see when trying to do Exchange restores? (also confirm what errors you see in the event logs at the same time)

3. Are the recovery points stored on a USB disk (you mentioned USB earlier)? If yes, can you try copying them to a local fixed disk just as a test?

The error (the screenshot above) you posted earlier - when EXACTLY do you see this error? Is it before or after selecting 'Restore Files'?

Sysadmins_ITW
Level 4

1. 3 server, but now I can test only one.

2. See video attached (html page + flash video). I confirm NO ERRORS in windows event log application and system

3. I'm transfering yesterday evening recovery point to do the test. 45 minutes needed for copy. I'll update you asap.

---UPDATE

3. Same result also from internal hard disk.

L.

criley
Employee Accredited

OK, it looks like I can reproduce this here.

The following workaround worked for me so can you try it and confirm if it works at your end as well?

1. When you open GRO, select the option 'Use alternate system index file' and manually browse to it.

Once I did that, I was able to restore without error. Let me know how you get on.

Sysadmins_ITW
Level 4

For files the soluiton functions but it's not possible to restore all of them. Restoring some of them I receive an "access denied" but Administratos group has full controll over them

With exchange I always obtain the same error.

Screenshots attached.

L.

criley
Employee Accredited

For the 'access denied' issue, I would suggest that you open a new case with support so that this can be investigated further.

Can you provide an English translation for the error you see when trying the Exchange mail restore..?

Sysadmins_ITW
Level 4

More or less : It's not possibile to find all required images for recovery point.

criley
Employee Accredited

Again, I think you are going to have to open a new case for the GRO/Exchange issue.

Unfortunately, there is only so much I can do via the forums.

Sysadmins_ITW
Level 4

Dear Chris,

I already have an open case. Case 412-871-176 (Issues during IS mount of GRO process...).

It was opened september 30th, 2010 and it's STILL open. Nobody gave me a solution!

Can you do something for my case? ... For instance, awake the technician who's working on it?!

Thanks, all your support will be appreciated! ... Wake up included...

L.

criley
Employee Accredited

Case 412-871-176 was closed on 13th Jan. Looks like you will need to open a new case.

Sysadmins_ITW
Level 4

Close?! Who did close this ticket!? With which result?!

As you can see I have always the same issue, for me the case is everything but close!!!

May you send me case's information?

L.

criley
Employee Accredited

The case was closed with a comment saying that the customer was no longer interested in troubleshooting.

Please don't shoot the messenger. I'm only telling you what information I can see in the case.

Sysadmins_ITW
Level 4

Simply it's absolutely FALSE! What's the evidence to say I wasn't no more interested in troubleshoting?

I'm not shooting the messenger, of course, I'm shooting the Symantec Support!

Can you reopen the case? And more important, can you tell to the support's manager what happened with my case?

I want to open a claim officially to the management, how can I do?

L. 

criley
Employee Accredited

I can ask the engineer to open a new case and work with you. Would you like me to go ahead and do that?