cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec Desktop Ed 7.0 Snapshot error 121

Gino_Lercara
Level 2
I just installed v7.0 on my laptop to test it prior to rolling it out and I am getting the following error:

Error EC8F1C50: Cannot create file backup for job: File Backup. Error E7B70005: Snapshot error 121.
Details: 0xE7B70005
Source: Backup Exec System Recovery

All my research points to a problem with the Shadow copy service and a potential hotfix from Microsoft. However, the fix is for Windows Server 2003 and not XP.

So, what could be going on here? How do I fix this?

BTW, version 6.5 worked with zero issues.
3 REPLIES 3

Bill_Felt
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
I mentioned this issue to one of our global-grade support technicians, and he remembers helping at least one customer with this same error.  As he recalls, the issue was resource-related.

Meaning, this other customer had his system taxed pretty heavily at the time the error was occurring, and if he stopped other resource-intensive processes (for example, virtual machines) temporarily, this error would not occur.

Thanks.

Gino_Lercara
Level 2
Well, that was not the case here. As a matter of fact, the problem was related to the upgrade. Apparently, in my case, upgrading from Live State 3.0 to 6.0, then 6.0 to 6.5 and 6.5 to 7.0 left lots of junk in the registry that was causing this particular error. The cleanup scripts did not help much either. What fixed the problem was a good registry cleaner which deleted all references to classes with missing files.

Now, the backups run BUT they run so slow that they are unusable. For example, the estimated completion time for a 60GB backup over the network clocks at about 35 hours. I have a case open with Symantec and, hopefully, someone will be able to figure it out. NTBACKUP, on the other hand, completes in about 2.5.

So, I'm not upgrading any of my servers, or other workstations, until I get a resolution to this issue.

Bill_Felt
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
I recently posted this on another thread, but it might be useful in your situation as well, if your backups are being stored to a network location:

You could try setting the following SYSTEM environment variable (it's important that it be a system variable) and then rebooting the system:

Variable name:  V2i_BUFFERED
Variable value:  defined

Thanks.