cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec System Recovery 2010 Recover Server to VMware 5.1

ITTrucker
Level 2

I was wondering if anyone had a procedure to recover from a Physical Server failure by creating a Virtual Machine with VMware and using the backups created by BESR to restore the server from backup.  BESR 2010 v9.04 and VMware ESXi 5.1.

I tried doing a Restore Anywhere and it looked like it was successful, but after the reboot the Dos messange and then Windows message came up "Setting up your computer" and then it errored out. (Sorry, don't have the exact error message but something about Windows not being able to start up on the current hardware)

I tried doing a Recovery without the Restore Anywhere option and the VM turns on but just bluescreens and reboots constantly.  Tried entering safe mode and it bluescreened as well.

I have created a Virtual Machine in the vCenter and then started the VM with the BESR Recovery CD and the Symantec console popped up and I went through the steps for the restore but I can't get the machine to actually start up.  The recovery looks like it works, but once I reboot, it fails.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

ITTrucker
Level 2

Ok, I don't have an ESXi 4.1 server, so I did a recovery into a HyperV environment which seemed to work.  Now that is up and running I can try to do a conversion to convert from HyperV to VMware and while slow, this two part restore seems to be working.

Had to add a legacy adapter to the HyperV server instead of a regular adapter from:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/could-not-get-network-adaptor-error

but it seems like the first step is working now.  We've done a few HyperV to Veeam conversions already so we should be all set.

Thanks

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

TRaj
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Restore of BESR 2010 images to ESXi 5.1 is not supported.

Sharing SCL for more information

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH137684

You should perform a restore on ESXi 4.1

You can also try a Conversion and just boot the converted image into a blank VM and check if this works.

Hope this helps!!

ITTrucker
Level 2

Ok, I don't have an ESXi 4.1 server, so I did a recovery into a HyperV environment which seemed to work.  Now that is up and running I can try to do a conversion to convert from HyperV to VMware and while slow, this two part restore seems to be working.

Had to add a legacy adapter to the HyperV server instead of a regular adapter from:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/could-not-get-network-adaptor-error

but it seems like the first step is working now.  We've done a few HyperV to Veeam conversions already so we should be all set.

Thanks

TRaj
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Great , Good to hear it works , you can anytime mark the post as solved if you feel , because we also want our other customers to go through the solutions and it is just a matter of observation which helps each one of us , so we usually refer posts which are marked as Solved.

Thanks for an update Trucker