cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec System Recovery 2010 and MS Server 2003 R2

glauzon
Level 3

Hello

I am attempting to move an older Dell server environment to a brand new Dell R510 unit. I have created my backup as well as created my Custom SRD but for some reason my new machine does not recognize my hard drives. I have loaded the MS Server 2008 x86 RAID Controller driver, IDE controller driver and network driver, yet the console recognizes my external hard drive as my C drive, the SRD as my D drive and an USB containing drivers as me E driver. My BIOS recognizes that my drives are all present (first two are in RAID 1, final three are in RAID 5). Can anyone provide me with direction in this matter? I have worked with Symantec tech support as well as Dell's and a higher level engineer with Symantec. We have tried multiple recovery disks as well as a custom one created by the engineer himself. Any direction would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Graham Lauzon

16 REPLIES 16

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Have you tried the RAID driver of the manufacturer as well ?

glauzon
Level 3

Yes I have. I've actually only tried the manufacturer drivers for this product.

Andreas_Horlach
Level 6
Employee Accredited

To clarify - you cannot see the volumes from within the recovery environment? If so, are you manually loading Windows 2008 (not R2) or Vista drivers?

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Well, I think then you have to look out for compatible drivers that work.

glauzon
Level 3

@Andy: Yes that is correct when I gt into the recovery environment the only volumes that I can see are the external hard drive, SRD, and USB attached. I have tried manually loading the MS server 2008 x86, x64 and R2 drivers at different times.

@Markus: Thank you. I have tried generic drivers as well. Nothing seems to work in this situation that I can think of.

Andreas_Horlach
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Try loading the Windows 2008 x86 drivers for the controller. Then, use DISKPART from a command prompt from within the recovery environment to list the disks. Does it list anything that the GUI does not?

Also, if possible, ensure that the firmware on that card is the latest version.

glauzon
Level 3

Yes I did use the x86 drivers and have been using the DISKPART within the console. It just lists the three drives as previously mentioned.

I have not yet ensured that the firmware is the latest version, thank you I'll try that now.

glauzon
Level 3

Ok, so I tried the firmware and it turns out that it is indeed the latest version thus it did not work. Thank you for the suggestion though, any other suggestions? Anything is greatly appreciated. Could there be an issue with the fact that I currently have Windows Server 2008 R2 installed and the current RAID controller that recognizes these drives is 64-bit?

Andreas_Horlach
Level 6
Employee Accredited

The operating system on the machine is inconsequential since you are booting into the recovery environment, which is built on the WinPE 2.1 (Windows 2008) kernal. This is why Windows 2008 or Vista drivers are required, regardless of the OS being laid down. (If you have a Windows 2008 Installation DVD, booting to that would be similar). Since the 32-bit 2008 drivers are not taking, the driver is wrong, the hardware is different than the drive, the firmware is outdated, the driver is not binding to the right controller, or there is another issue with the controller itself.

When you upgrade the firmware, did it tell you that it detected the controller? In other words, have you verified visually or otherwise that the hardware in the machine is what you are trying to load the drivers onto? Dell's site suggests that several different options of controllers were used in this server. Since you don't have an OS on that machine, that makes it a little tricky to determine that, but usually when you get into the BIOS of controller it will tell you.

Next, are there more than 1 controller in the system? If so, temporarily disable the other cards at the BIOS level to ensure that the driver is binding to the right controller.

Lastly, do you have another R510 server with the same controller you can boot the recovery disk on?

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Any updates here ?

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Any updates here ?

royceracer
Level 3

We also are having this issue with a Dell R510 system with PERC H200 controller.  The system has been initialized with a RAID 10 array.  When we boot with the BESR 2010 and use the partition utility, NO DRIVES are displayed in the drop down list.

RLR:-)

royceracer
Level 3

We used the BESR to create a copy of a server to new hardware; storing the image to another location.  Then we attempted the recover and discovered that the RAID 10 device was not listed.  Coworker downloaded a 32-bit RAID controller driver from Dell for the R510 server; we loaded the driver, but the device did not immediately display; we were about to download a 64-bit driver when about 5-10 minutes later the device was in the drop down list.  We we able to restore the server to another unit.

RLR:-)

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

So would you please mark this post as solved ?

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

have you tried royceracer's solution ?

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Any news here ?