Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec System Recovery 8.5/9.0

-The_GodFather-
Level 4
Partner
Hi to all, 

Does anyone knows if BESR 8.5 or 9.0 supports restoring vmware backup image and convert it to a physical machine?? We are trying to restore vmware image workstation 7.0 and restore it to a physical machine. Thanks!
1 REPLY 1

ioniancat21
Level 5
I need a little more data to answer perfectly, but if your referring to using VMware snapshots to create a P2V conversion, I can tell you this cannot be done. What you can do however is to either install BESR in the VM's environment or boot your VM using the BESR recovery media, run a full backup, then restore it to a physical machine using the Restore Anywhere Option, which is possible and probably the only way to do it.

I have done this personally and it indeed works with both BESR 8.5 and 2010. Just know that if the machine you want to restore to has a RAID or other critical devices where drivers may be an issue, you'll have to have those drivers available in the event BESR prompts you for them. Also, Windows licensing may also deactivate your copy of Windows on the restored physical computer since hardware has changed if the VM wasn't built using a VLK license key which bypasses activation, so worst case, you may have to call Microsoft to manually reactivate that computer. Besides that, it should be a piece of cake.

Good luck, CAT