cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec System Recovery & Windows Shadow Copies

Artifiring
Level 2

I am looking for information with regards to Symantec Backup Exec System Recovery (2010) and Windows Server Shadow Copies (Currently we are using Server 2003 R2).

When I started managing the servers with Backup Exec System Recover I was told (by other IT person) to schedule Windows Shadow copies to occur about 15-30 minutes prior to the Backup Exec System Recovery Schedules. I have been looking into things and this seems to be a bit extra and redundant.

I understand that Backup Exec System Recovery uses the Volume Shadow Copy Service (or at least I think it does) during the backups, but is there any need to actually run Shadow Copies of drives in addition to the Backup Exec System Recovery backups (such as through the Windows interface at the properties of a drive)?

If I am understanding everything correctly it seems a little overkill and extra redundant. Can someone confirm this for me.

Thank you,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Sush---
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Backup Exec System Recovery uses its own snapshot technology which is Symantec Snapshot Provider (Symsnap service). This will take a backup of your complete server at the block level of hard drive. So to be very true there is really no need to backup and schedule Windows Shadow copies. (The other IT person may be just telling you this for Redundant purpose).

A full backup of all the drives using Backup Exec System Recovery is enough to bring the whole server back to its original working condition in case if there is any kind of disaster.

Thanks,

-Sush...

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Sush---
Level 6

Backup Exec System Recovery uses its own snapshot technology which is Symantec Snapshot Provider (Symsnap service). This will take a backup of your complete server at the block level of hard drive. So to be very true there is really no need to backup and schedule Windows Shadow copies. (The other IT person may be just telling you this for Redundant purpose).

A full backup of all the drives using Backup Exec System Recovery is enough to bring the whole server back to its original working condition in case if there is any kind of disaster.

Thanks,

-Sush...

Sush---
Level 6

Any updates on this ?? Have you got the required information ??

Thanks,

-Sush...

Sush---
Level 6

Are there any updates on this ??  I would appreciate if you can update the post from your end. If you have got the required Information please mark the appropriate response as Solution and close this forum post.

Thanks,

-Sush... 

Artifiring
Level 2

My apologies Sush, I did not get any e-mail notifications stating that anyone had replied so I didn't realize there were replies waiting.

Your answer was exactly what I needed to know, thank you for your assistance and quick response, I will be following up with marking the solution appropriately.

Thank you again!

- Artie