cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec System Recovery console crashes with "Object Reference not set to an instance of an object" error.

Chris_Bhatt
Level 3
I have installed BESR 8.5.3 from fresh on Windows 2003 Enterprise Server Sp2 32bit.
Everytime I load the console it loads ok until I click on Computers / Edit List / Add.
I enter the name of the remote computer and click OK.
I then get the error:

Unhandled exception has occurred in your application. If you click Continue, the application will ignore this error and attempt to continue. If you click Quit, the application will close immediately.
Object reference not set to an instance of this object.

Followed by a raft of extra information in the Details tab. This happens every time I try to add a known working pingable computer.
If I click continue, the console recovers and lets me carry on but it doesn't add the computer to the Computer list meaning next time I want to connect to the specific computer I get the error message again.
I have uninstalled and reinstalled BESR 8.5.3 many times but the error still keeps coming up.

Any ideas?
3 REPLIES 3

PickawayIT
Level 2
Greetings, this problem is really getting irritating. I first tried the repository fix to no avail. Here are the other things I have tried.

Repository folder rename. - NO GOOD

Uninstall (completely including deleting all left over registry values) and then reinstall creating a new sql instance. - NO GOOD

Uninstall DOTNet Framework completely and then allow BESR to install DOTNet. - NO GOOD

Uninstall DOTNet Framework completely and manually install from Microsoft Downloads. - NO GOOD

Uninstall .net again completely and then reinstall DotNet 2.0 SP1. - NO GOOD

I am almost certain it has to do with an update somewhere but finding a windows update causing the problem is proving quite elusive considering how many there are. I am about to do a restore of the system back to a month ago but I'd rather not loose my BE11d configurations.

Server:
Windows 2003 R2 X64
BESR 8.5
BE 11d
Spiceworks

Any help would be appreciated as it is an annoyance since the application does run if I tell it to continue.

Level 3
I am having the same error please kindly assist us if anyone know that.

Thank you.

Whitmore29
Level 3
Hey i just finished re-installing an instance or BESR 8.5  and am getting the same as you guys. Never had this issue pre-reinstall was missing jobs instead... gotta love it. If anyone knows anything about this error please chime in

thanks!

Chris