cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Symtem Recovery Scheduled Job fails to Run, Service stops when regular BE 12.5 job runs

Server-tech
Level 4
Partner

Greetings:

On a Windows Server 2008 (SP2) with Exchange Server 2007 (SP2) and Backup Exec 12.5 SP3 I have Backup Exec System Recovery 8.5.3.31483 I have the following symptoms:

When a Backup Exec 12.5 job runs the Backup Exec System Recovery service stops. I have a Scheduled task to restart it since having the service recovery option on the service itself doesn't work in this instance.

I discovered that BESR is trying to install the SP6 Patch while the backup job is running and it of course stops the service.

The Patch install has 2 main errors:

Product: Symantec Backup Exec System Recovery -- Error 2602.The File table entry 'P_rcdx.rtp' has no associated entry in the Media table.

Product: Symantec Backup Exec System Recovery - Update '{6FDD130B-CA05-41F2-93C3-C7C56B021F5B}' could not be installed. Error code 1603.

I get the same result when I tried to manually install the patch.

When I run a BESR job manually it runs OK

I have 2 questions.
1) How to I force BESR not to install patches on it own. I can not turn off Live update in general as the server has other Symantec Products.

2) How to i get the SP6 patch to install successfully? (Get around this Error 2602.The File table entry 'P_rcdx.rtp' has no associated entry in the Media table. issue)

This server is in production and since it has Exchange I am extremely limited on when it can be rebooted.

Thanks,
Paul

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Server-tech
Level 4
Partner
Thanks for the LiveUpdate opt out utility.  I ended up having to uninstall BESR and reboot, install BESR and reboot, install SP6 and reboot again.  All is well I hope!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

criley
Employee Accredited
Have you tried manually installing SP6 (http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/339394.htm) ?

There is a utility that allows you to remove BESR from LiveUpdate - I will see if I can make this available to you.

Server-tech
Level 4
Partner

Chris:  
   Yes I have tried to run the install manually.  I get a message box that the Error 2602.The File table entry 'P_rcdx.rtp' has no associated entry in the Media table and the upgrade is listed as failed.

Yes I would like that utility to stop live update to work for BESR so I can run it manaully when given approval by management.

Thanks,
Paul

Server-tech
Level 4
Partner
I forgot to explicitly point out that the current patch level is 3 is I understand your version label specs 8.5.3.31483

criley
Employee Accredited
I've not seen or heard of that error before so I'm not sure what the cause is.

Here's the utility for opting out of LiveUpdate: http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/345651.htm

Server-tech
Level 4
Partner
Thanks for the LiveUpdate opt out utility.  I ended up having to uninstall BESR and reboot, install BESR and reboot, install SP6 and reboot again.  All is well I hope!