cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup a system preserved partition only (Cannot restore a bootable Windows)

Hsinping
Level 2

I use SSR 2011 to backup a full C (Windows Sever 2008 R2) on an IBM x3650 server.

Currently I need to restore the server to another server with a certain snaphot (say, snapshot on August 1) for testing. After restoring, however, it is not bootable.

I read this article:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH129112,

and found I may not (didn't) include the System Reserved Partition (non-EFI system) or EFI System Partition (EFI-enabled system), mentioned in the article, in the backup job.

So how should I do now?

Can I only backup a System Reserved Partition and then restore it (and how to do it)? Or should I do full system backup (including System Reserved Partition), and restroe the reserved partition.

What I am concerned here is I need to restore a certain snapshot, not the newest one. So, I need to make sure I will not restore the newest snapshot if I use the lastest backup (with reserved partition).

Thanks for any help in advacne.

4 REPLIES 4

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

You need to include all drives in the backup, then things should workout.

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Anything clear now?

Hsinping
Level 2

Well, I called the technical support via phone. They told me SSR 2011 cannot find Windows EFI boot disk, so I I have to upgrade to SSR 2013. Is that true?

Now I am looking for other solutions for this. (Basically, I am rebuilding another system from scratch now.)

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

AFAIK, yes pure UEFI is only supported as SSR 2013. But if you set the mode to legacy/bios style it should work with SSR 2011 too.