cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup cannot be performed while Windows is running

djb
Not applicable

I am running BESR 8.02 on a XPPro/SP2 laptop.

I have created already three full backups of the drive to an external USB HDD.

I have two tasks setup - one to do the whole C: drive (not scheduled) and the other just to save data directories which runs 3x/wk.  This second task runs successfully.

BESR has been warning that the backup defined for C: has not been run for more than 30 days.

So I was then trying to do another full backup also since I was going to be upgrading some other sw; but I get the following message always coming up - when I do a 'Back up now' to create a recovery point, or try to do it from the Run or Manage backup window, and even if I tried to create a new backup profile for saving C:.

This comes up right after the Progress window says creating recovery point/calculating remaining time.

This operation cannot be performed while Windows is running.

You must complete this operation inside the recovery environment.
Would you like to continue?

If you choose either Yes or Cancel it simply puts you back in the progress window though it isn't currently running.

I have tried booting off the recovery CD into the recovery environment but doing a backup isn't an option there.

I have plenty of room on the external HDD.  I have tried removing one of the earlier recovery points but still get the same message.  I have also tried turning off the Symantec firewall and antivirus before trying a backup.  LiveUpdate says that there are no updates to the BESR software version that I am running.

Any help would be appreciated.

thanks

7 REPLIES 7

David_F
Level 6
Employee Accredited

You may want to review the following technote: http://support.veritas.com/docs/301176

Secondly use the MSCONFIG utility to selectively start up the system with only essential services and BESR startup items, and then see if you are able to create an image. Third, try to defrag the hard disk drive allow contiguous free space of the source drive appear at the end of the drive.

Rocket28
Level 3

I use Norton Ghost 14.0 and just did a live update today (8/29/2008).  Now I have exactly the same problem as stated above.  I cannot run my "C" Drive backup "within the Windows environment."  It must have something to do with the update since it worked fine before.

David, P L E A S E  have Norton Ghost come out with a new update to FIX THIS PROBLEM.  It is useless as is.

My only other recourse would be to uninstall Norton Ghost, reinstall it and never use Live Update again.

In the meantime I'll use Genie Backup Manager to at least backup my files.

Rocket28
Level 3

I noticed that MS XP SP3 downloaded and installed within one hour of my problem.  That may be the  cause.  I notice that both Norton Ghost 14 and Genie Backup Manager Home Edition 8.0 cannot backup.  I defragged my external hard drive and tested it.  It appears fine.

Thus, my conclusion is that the Norton Ghost 14 update today or the MS XP SP3 disabled my ability to do a streaming backup.

Thanks in advance for any help you can render.

Rocket28
Level 3

Here is the error log I received:

Error EC8F17B7: Cannot create recovery points for job: Drive Backup of  (C:\). Error E0BB001B: Cannot lock volume \\?\Volume{b6eb9e49-4da0-11db-a74f-806d6172696f}\ because it contains the OS or has an active paging file.

Rocket28
Level 3

I uninstalled Genie Backup Home Manager 8.0 and Norton Ghost 14.0 and then reinstalled them.  Now my backups work fine.  Evidently upgrading MS Windows XP SP2 to SP3 required this.

It took me three days of experimenting to figure this out.  Its too bad Norton Support can't help us with these problems.

Dostaboy1951
Not applicable
I am u sing Norton Ghost 14.0 on my Dell Dimension and have been getting this error constantly since I installed it in March.  I spent two hours on the phone with Tech Support and finally found that the symsnap.sys file was not running.  If this file is not running prior to your backup starting, you will get the  E0BB001B error.  Short of checking if the file is running prior to each backup, I have no other solution.

Andreas_Horlach
Level 6
Employee Accredited
The Symsnap service should not stop running on its own. There has to be something in the background that is affecting it. First, LiveUpdate to ensure that you are running Ghost 14.0.5.

If you are running Windows Vista, ensure that when you launch the install, you do it with ADMIN privileges.