cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup destination and offsite copy

legaleagle
Level 4

I am creating a new backup job for which I also want an offsite copy. The idea is to back up every evening the server which is made up of a c: and d: drive onto a usb drive. Every morning I will replace the usb drive and so rotate a set of 10 drives over 2 weeks. (I have had problems before so I'm starting afresh.)

The usb drive will be the offsite but please can you clarify what to put as the primary destination for the backup. My confusion arises because since a backup would usually be to a different system why must there be a destination AND an offsite copy? At the moment the usb is the destination and the offsite is unticked. Since I'm getting errors I suspect this may be the problem and so I want to get it right this time. However, I still can't get my mind round the destination and the offsite.

Alternatively, perhaps someone has written a step-by-step guide how to set this up.

Many thanks

I am using MS SBS 2003

3 REPLIES 3

criley
Employee Accredited

The idea of offsite is for DR purposes (i.e. if your primary backup destination became unavailable).

So typically you could use a NAS or network share as your primary backup destination and then USB/FTP as your offsite.

Hope that helps.

legaleagle
Level 4

So if I want only an offsite copy would I specify the usb drive as the primary destination and leave offsite unticked or could that create problems?

criley
Employee Accredited

You can only do an offsite copy once you have created the primary backup - offsite is just a COPY of the original backup.

If you can explain what you are trying to achieve it might help..