Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup exec system recovery 8.5 external hard drive install issue

Christopher_H
Level 2
Partner
I currently have BESR 8.5.3.31483 and am running on my laptop
I had installed it  and used with with a network attached storage device for a number of months (worked like a charm).

I got rid of the NAS and just got an external hard drive enclosure with 2x500gb drives supporting and running Raid 1.  I have drive letter F assigned to it and the data that I have on there as a pure storage device is accessible and it works perfectly fine as such.

I went to define a new backup in easy mode, selected the external usb drive destination and when I click ok nothing happens.  The program doesn't freeze but doesn't let me advance by clicking OK

I tried to define a full backup, make it to the backup destinations page, select the external usb drive under the folder box, go to click next and nothing.  Again, it does not freeze, just doesn't let me advance past this page.  I tried uninstalling and reinstalling and still nothing.  I also tried to setup this external drive as an offsite copy and still nothing.

Is there some setting I am missing or anything I need to edit/define?  I do not want to have to reformat the drive(s) as they have non backed up data on them.   Any advice or thoughts on what needs to be done to setup a backup on the external usb drive?  Thanks in advance

-Chris
8 REPLIES 8

marcogsp
Level 6
You may need to manually wipe the job and history files to correct this issue.  Please document your job settings before proceeding with the steps in the technote below:

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/296198.htm

softdes
Level 3
We had a similar problem with a RD1000 drive. In the end the solution was to share the drive, and in BESR, define the target as \\<server>\<sharename>.

Hope that helps.

Christopher_H
Level 2
Partner
I did a complete reinstall and also cleared out the histroy as suggested and nothing.  I made sure the external usb drive was completely shared (it is) and still nothing.  I just find it odd that I can see the external drive in BESR when I am choosing a destination, it will let me select it (showing path and all F:\backup) but will not let me click next and go to the next page...is there something I am missing in setting this up or something system wise I need to adjust with the drive?  Like I mentioned, I don't want to reformat the drive because it currently has stuff on it that won't fit on my laptop hard drive.  Thanks for the help

Andreas_Horlach
Level 6
Employee Accredited
What operating system are you running?

Christopher_H
Level 2
Partner
Windows XP Pro on my laptop and I am backing up my laptop to my external usb drive

marcogsp
Level 6
Maybe we need to approach this issue from a more basic troubleshooting approach.  Will another external USB drive allow the job setup to procede?  Have you run chkdsk /r on the external drive as well as the volumes to be imaged?  Have you tried defragmenting the external drive as well as the volumes to be imaged?  Sometimes a fragmented volume or corrupted security descriptor can cause certain applications to fail.   Have you tried giving the external drive another drive letter?

If all this checks out, the only other suggestion I have is to backup the registry key HKLM--SYSTEM--MountedDevices to a .reg file.  Then delete all the binary value entries that begin with  \??\Volume under that key.  Reboot the system.  It may take a bit longer for the system to start up since it will be recreating some of the entries that were deleted.  I've used this method on some of the more stubborn drive enumeration problems I've run across, but I only use it as a last resort.

Andreas_Horlach
Level 6
Employee Accredited
How is the RAID set up and controlled? Is software installed from the mftr that allows you to set up and control the raid? With BESR, we need full access to the drive and sometimes sofware from 3rd parties that mediates between Windows and the device can be the culprit. If you see the drive but not access it (as you originally described), this can be a symptom of that. Using another drive (as per Marcogsp suggestion) would tell us that is correct. Another was would be to break the RAID/uninstall the sfw, and let Windows detect and install the drives.

marcogsp
Level 6
Good info Andreas!  I'm reminded that I once had a BESR imaging job continuously fail because a disk defragmenting utility was not releasing control of the target drive.  I had to set up a pre-imaging command file to stop the utility.  Afterward, the imaging job would complete and I used a post imaging command file to restart the defragnmenting utility.