cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup fails: Error E7D1001E: Unable to read from file

BenLa
Level 3

Running BESR 8.0 with the latest updates on a Win2k3 server with sp1. I am trying to backup a 2 local drives to an external USB hard drive. The system partition backs up fine, my data partion (see defrag report below) produces the error:

Error E7D1001E: Unable to read from file. Error EBAB03F1: Insufficient system resources exist to complete the requested service.
Details: 0xE7D1001E
Source: Backup Exec System Recovery

The backup is being run from the server. I have also tried changing the target location of the backup. Tech support suggested a defrag be run on the drive. But I have never had to run defrag on a server with a raid5 partition, and also I don't have a time window to allow it.

DEFRAG REPORT:

Volume DATA (E:)
    Volume size                                = 332 GB
    Cluster size                               = 4 KB
    Used space                                 = 175 GB
    Free space                                 = 157 GB
    Percent free space                         = 47 %

Volume fragmentation
    Total fragmentation                        = 6 %
    File fragmentation                         = 12 %
    Free space fragmentation                   = 0 %

File fragmentation
    Total files                                = 481,396
    Average file size                          = 592 KB
    Total fragmented files                     = 13,476
    Total excess fragments                     = 66,467
    Average fragments per file                 = 1.13

Pagefile fragmentation
    Pagefile size                              = 0 bytes
    Total fragments                            = 0

Any ideas are appreciated.

1 REPLY 1

marcogsp
Level 6

Upon further reflection (and some good natured prodding from some who say I should know better Smiley Very Happy )  I feel I should elaborate on my earlier post.  I don't recall if the error messages were exactly the same, but I do recall the "Unable to read from file" portion.  I thought it might have been a permissions issue at first, but that was not the case.  Also, I do agree that MBR maintenance is not needed under normal circumstances, and that the MBR will expand itself within certain guidelines.  That said, the array and associated volume I was experiencing imaging problems with, was being backed up sucessfully with Backup Exec for Windows Servers.  Why one product form the Backup Exec family was sucessful while the other failed, is probably a moot point, but it did make me go hmmmmmmmmm.

Given that I had the means to reproduce the data if it was lost during MBR resizing and defragmenting, I felt resonably safe in attempting it.  After doing so in the lab and then in production, I was able to image the volume sucessfully.  I believe I was using BESR ver. 7.01 at the time.  I don't know if the newer versions will experience the same error condition under the same conditions.  My original post is included below:

I once had a large RAID 5 array that I could not get to image with BESR.  Defragmentation of the drive did not help.  Somewhere on the web I read that a fragmented Master File Table can cause drive imaging processes to fail.  Also, not having enough space allocated for the MFT can cause problems in this area.  I had Diskeeper on the server, which was capable of defragmenting and resizing the MFT.  The process is a boot time process whether you use a program like Diskeeper, or follow the MFT resizing guidelines from Microsoft.

Resizing and defragmenting the MFT can be a lengthy process.  This would probably be an after hours project, so you could also do a file defragmenting at the same time.  Also, if you have some other way you can backup the data drive, that would be advisable before attempting MFT maintenance.

To test the validity of my suspicion, I restored the system to a lab unit, and recreated the data partition by hand, and then copied the data files via "sneaker net" from a large USB external drive.  Luckily, I was not transporting Exchange or SQL databases.  I kept the partition sizes as close as possible to the production server.  The MFT resizing and defragmenting worked in the lab, and I was able to image the lab system afterward.  This gave me the confidence to try it on the production server afterward.