Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup support for GPT (GUID Partition Table) partitions

JB-ITGroupNW
Level 3
Partner

Symantec-

I am an IT consultant and we sell BESR to all our clients – From every angle, this software has saved so many of our clients from data-loss and disasters over the years. However, many of our clients are now needing larger disk arrays, so we have been creating GPT arrays/partitions for our 2TB+ arrays. Over the weekend I performed a big system upgrade and partitioned a 3TB RAID5 array into two partitions – 300GB and 2.5TB. I went to configure a backup of the 300GB partition using BESR, but to my surprise, the drive did not show up in the drive list. I restarted the server, I removed and reinstalled BESR, but nothing gave me the options to backup the GPT partitions. This lead me to do a little research and it appears BESR does not currently backup GPT.

My questions are: Will BESR 2010 (v9.*) support backing up GPT? If so, do you know if it will be an update for v9 or will we have to wait for v10 to arrive? Do you have an ETA of when v9 or later will be on the market and if it will support GPT? Many of my clients are moving to systems that are using GPT and we need a backup solution that will work.

Thank you for your time and great software/services.

--Jeremy

2 REPLIES 2

criley
Employee Accredited

To my knowledge, support of GPT is planned for a future release of BESR.

The next version (which is being renamed to SSR - Symantec System Recovery) which is due for release early next month unfortunately wont have support for GPT.

Sorry that I don't have better news for you at this time.

JB-ITGroupNW
Level 3
Partner

Chris-

I really appreciate your response. Bummer it isn't going to be included in the next release... I'll just try to be patient and start questioning it again in 6 to 8 months.  :)  Thank you,

--Jeremy