cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backupexec system system recovery 8.5

supportsib2
Level 5

I am getting the following error  since  last few days   when running backup either manually or  scheduled

the os is win2003 32 bit ent (/PAE switch enabled )

16 GB ram

Event Type:    Error
Event Source:    Backup Exec System Recovery
Event Category:    High Priority
Event ID:    100
Date:        11/15/2011
Time:        2:01:25 AM
User:        N/A
Computer:    ser01
Description:
Error EC8F17B7: Cannot create recovery points for job: Drive Backup of SAN (D:\). Error E7B70001: Win32/Win64 API DeviceIoControl(IOCTL_VSNAP_SET_SNAP_VOLUMES) failed. Error EBAB03F1: Insufficient system resources exist to complete the requested service.
Details: 0xE7B70001
Source: Backup Exec System Recovery

Please help

11 REPLIES 11

criley
Employee Accredited

Does this only affect volume D ? What other volumes are you backing up?

Are you seeing any other errors in the Windows event logs around this time?

What build of BESR 8.5 do you have (check in Help/About)?

criley
Employee Accredited

So that error was seen at 11PM. What time does the backup of volume D start?

What do you see when you run vssadmin list writers from the command prompt? Are any of the VSS writers in a bad state?

supportsib2
Level 5

Event Type:    Error
Event Source:    VSS
Event Category:    None
Event ID:    12293
Date:        11/14/2011
Time:        11:01:56 PM
User:        N/A

Description:
Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Error calling a routine on the Shadow Copy Provider {262b716e-bb23-41b5-aaef-e2c15e767167}. Routine details PreCommitSnapshots({124548bb-d055-4cb5-9c74-7fbbef57c976}) [hr = 0x8000ffff].

BE version 8.5.0 28843

supportsib2
Level 5

All were stable yesterday , but this moment  all are failed.This  problem happens for all the volumes

criley
Employee Accredited

You should investigate why they are in a failed state then. This may be a Windows issue.

You are also running BESR 8.5.0.x - this is very old and should be updated.

supportsib2
Level 5

Upgrading will solve this issue if  it is a windows issue .

There are SQLBACKUP (from SQL SERVER) scheduled  and BE2010R3 ( For sql backup from media server job scheduled )  agent also installed  other than BESR agent

BE2010R3 sql backup and Scheduled backup from SQL  dosent have any problem  . One thing i noticed  when the SQL guys takes backup  and  when they tried to zip using wrar  it was failing  with the error

"nsufficient system resources exist to complete the requested service". I dont know how to begin the  troubleshooting :)

criley
Employee Accredited

So if you are also backing up using Backup Exec, you need to figure out when this problem starts. In other words, get the VSS writers into a good state and then monitor backups to see when the issue is seen. This should allow you to narrow down the problem.

As already mentioned, you should update BESR because there have been 9 service packs since the initial release of 8.5. At the moment, you are not taking advantage of any of the fixes in those 9 SPs...

supportsib2
Level 5

There was no problem  in the beginning . These all happened  recently .

Anyway I have one question regarding upgrading .

I can directly upgrade the besr 8.5 to SSR2011 ?

Or do i uninstall the besr 8.5 first and  install 2011

What would you suggest

criley
Employee Accredited

You can upgrade from 8.5 to SSR 2011 - assuming you have licenses for SSR that is.

supportsib2
Level 5

I had checked with a Symantec Tech Support  , He told to uninstall and reinstall .Dont know why :)

criley
Employee Accredited

The upgrade does actually do an uninstall for you but it also gives you the option of retaining the existing job and the backup history.