cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backupo Exec System Recovery doesn't delete Exchange log files

Sysadmins_ITW
Level 4

Dear All,

I'm having a problem with BESR 2010 on one server of mine. Simply it doesn't delete Exchange log files. I tryed with VSS and without VSS option activated but the result is always the same. This server is a MS SBS 2003.

The Support answer is:

"As for your question actually when we select "Enable full VSS" it does not actually deletes the commited log but it reads the updated "heckpoint"file to inform how many logs are actually commited. As BESR does not works on API level (because it works on sector level)it is incapable of deleting the commited logs.So in short it just informs you the status of the checkpoint file."

I think the answer is wrong becase on other serversexchange log files are deleted every full or incremental backup.

Every week I have a problem with Exchange services because they stop due to a disk full problem. Has anyone an idea about why BESR doesn't delete Exchange log file only on this server??

Thaks a lot!

L.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

criley
Employee Accredited

I think the answer is wrong becase on other serversexchange log files are deleted every full or incremental backup.

Are you other Exchange server(s) also on SBS?

I suspect this might be the problem:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH77180

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

criley
Employee Accredited

Are you other Exchange server(s) also on SBS?

I suspect this might be the problem:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH77180

Sysadmins_ITW
Level 4

Yes, also other Exchange server are SBS 2003 and 2010.

criley
Employee Accredited

So have you checked to see if the Exchange writer is enabled/disabled on that server?

Sysadmins_ITW
Level 4

It was disabled.

I have enabled it, restarted MS IS and now a manual incremental backup is in progress.

We have to wait for the moment... ;)

L.

Sysadmins_ITW
Level 4

Great Chris!

that's the solution! Echange log files were truncated!

Please, check this support case 413-984-902 (no error code:BESR doesn't delete exchange log files with or without VSS ba...) and tell to your colleague to study much more!! ... and make him a shampoo!

I waited 3 days to have a no-solution asking to the customer service and i got a solution in 5 minutes asking to the forum. I think that you agree with me if I say that this is not possible!

Thanks and thanks again!

L.

P.S.: ... I have some other problems to discuss here! :)