Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bad Sector

kaplang
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Using SSR 2013, Desktop.

Jobs started failing with an error message to the effect that the job could not copy a bad sector and to set job properties to ignore bad sectors.  I did that and jobs no longer failed.

I assumed that the drive had a bad sector so I replaced the drive and restored the most recent image.

Now the new jobs are failing with the same message.

What is happening?

4 REPLIES 4

criley
Employee Accredited

What's the exact error?

Are you running SSR 2013 with or without SP1?

Have you done CHKDSK /R yet?

kaplang
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Not sure about SP1.  I am however, running version 11.0.1.47662.

I'll do 'CHKDSK /R' tonight.

More to the point of my question.  Did SSR include information in the backup image that says that sector 'x' on the original drive was bad and then mark sector 'x' on the new hard drive as also being bad although it probably was not?

GK

criley
Employee Accredited

I assume you enabled ignore bad sectors during the backup? If so, it's unlikely (not impossible) that a bad sector was captured during the backup.

However, if a bad sector was somehow backed up, SSR will restore it as is. So it's possible.

EDIT: Yes, that is SP1.

Dave_H1
Level 4

If your running Windows 7 or later, chkdsk has a switch "/b" that will retest bad sectors because they can indeed be caried over in a image.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc730714(v=WS.10).aspx

NTFS only: Clears the list of bad clusters on the volume and rescans all allocated and free clusters for errors. /b includes the functionality of /r. Use this parameter after imaging a volume to a new hard disk drive.

Dave

Edit- If your running a previous version of windows that does not have the chkdsk /b option then you can use the recovery disk and do it through the command line.