cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bare metal partition doesn't see NIC

tvalus
Level 2

I installed the bare metal partition onto my laptop to test it out. The install seemed to go good with no errors but when I go to the partition at startup everything appears fine except that no network connectivity is found. This is on a Dell M6400 laptop if that helps. Any suggestions on what I should look for?

5 REPLIES 5

criley
Employee Accredited

What exactly do you mean by the 'bare metal partition'?

I have to assume you are referring to the SRD (recovery disk) or the LightsOut Restore Option, right?

If that is true, you need to ensure that you load a compatible driver for your NIC within the WindowsPE environment. This driver must be x86 and compatible with 2008/Vista.

Hope that helps.

tvalus
Level 2

Yes LightOut option (sorry got my nomenclature twisted there). I will try that and report back. Are there any possible plans to include at least some of the more common NICs in future versions? I can see this requirement adding significant time for us since we unfortunately have quite a few disparate devices that we would like to run this on.

criley
Employee Accredited

You can add additional drivers when setting up LightsOut Restore.

Have you tried that yet?

tvalus
Level 2

I have the LightsOut Restore partition loaded to my machine already (without the network drivers of course). Would it be better to reinstall completely or try to add the drivers to the existing install?

criley
Employee Accredited

You cannot add a driver to an existing installation of LightsOut Restore.

I would first test that you have the correct driver (manually boot into LightsOut Restore and use the 'load a driver' option). Once you know which driver is the right one, remove LightsOut and re-install it and add the driver you tested during the install wizard.