cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Way to Manage Backup Destinations

Peter_Sheridan
Level 6

Hello,

I've got some jobs configured in SSR. What is the best way to manage the backup destination when the disk becomes full?

When i use the Clean up tool it deletes all the recovery points, not just the old ones. What it should be doing is combining the full and incremental backups to create a new baseline kinda like how the Synthetic Backup works in BE.

Am I missing something?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

In the manage backup destination window select the recovery point set you want to consolidate and select delete. In the "delete recovery points" dialog select manual.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

But you can do this by just deleting the incrementals! Also you can select the old backups for removal without selecting the latest backup.

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Any questions left open?

Peter_Sheridan
Level 6

Hi Markus,

Sorry about the delayed reply, i must have missed the email!

How are the incremental backups deleted?

When the 'Manage Backup Destination' window is open, I can see the 'Recovery Point Sets' window. From there I can open up a recovery point set and see the incremental backups, but it only allows me to Mount them, not actually delete them.

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

In the manage backup destination window select the recovery point set you want to consolidate and select delete. In the "delete recovery points" dialog select manual.

Peter_Sheridan
Level 6

Oh i see. That worked. Thanks Markus!

Do you know of a way to automatially consolidate recovery points when a backup destination gets full?

Or even once the recovery point set reaches a certain size?

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Hm, in the manage backup destination windows there is the settings options. Have a look there.

Peter_Sheridan
Level 6

Yeah that is pretty much what i'm after.

How agressive is the "Automatially Optimize Storage" option?

If i have 1 full backup and 100 incrementals how many would it consolidate?

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Sorry I don't know. But I would be happy if you could let us know ;)

In case your Q's are all answered now, could you please mark this post as solved?

Peter_Sheridan
Level 6

Sure, i'll do some digging and post back with my results :)