Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Way to Restore Using System Recovery 2011

Jay_Patel_2
Level 4
Partner

I wonder if anyone can help me:

We have Client Server Dell PowerEdge T410, and everyday we backup on tape using Backupexe to tape and full system backup using Symantec System Recovery 2010 on USB drive.

Now we have a new server Dell PowerEdge T310 Rack for disaster recovery, have tried to restore using Symantec System Recover with option of restore on any hardware, the procress restores the two drives ok, but the server will not boot up. Has anyone got any pointers as to what i need to do to make a mirror copy of the production server on the DR server.

Many Thanks

Jay

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Jay_Patel_2
Level 4
Partner

Thank you grantpsd,

you were right it was what you said. Thank you for your reply.

Jay

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

criley
Employee Accredited

First question: what operating system?

Second question: you say it wont boot up after the restore. Are you seeing any errors on boot?

Also, the title mentions 2011 of System Recovery but you then mention 2010 version. Please clarify which version you are using.

Jay_Patel_2
Level 4
Partner

1) Microsoft SBS2008

2) Error "No Boot Files Found"

3) Sorry Version is 2010

Jay_Patel_2
Level 4
Partner
chris, i could really use your help on this issue.

criley
Employee Accredited

Can you provide a screenshot of the error you see when the server boots?

Also, what service pack level of BESR 2010 are you using? SP5 (9.0.5) is the latest so make sure the recovery disk you are using for the restore is SP5.

Jay_Patel_2
Level 4
Partner
Hi Chris, I cant get a screen shot at it at boot stage, I feel i do not have SP5 for the recovery disk, where can i down load this from. Many Thanks for your reply

criley
Employee Accredited

Any reason you cannot provide a screenshot? You could use a smartphone/digital camera to take a photo seeing as this is a physical server.

You can get the SP5 recovery disk here:

https://fileconnect.symantec.com/

Jay_Patel_2
Level 4
Partner

I am in the office, the client is 50 miles, so next time i go there, i shall take one  In the mean time i shall try a recovery on out test server here with SP5 recover disk, as we also use System Recovery 2010 on a USB hard drive for our second backup on our main server. Thank you for your support. I shall get back asap

grantpsd
Level 4
Partner Accredited

I know this post is over a week old, not sure if you solved your issue, but when I read your post, the first thing that came to mind is that you may not have restored the small windows system partition and/or set it for OS booting and to restore the MBR. Just my first thoughts.

Jay_Patel_2
Level 4
Partner

Thank you grantpsd,

you were right it was what you said. Thank you for your reply.

Jay