cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Boot Failure when converting Symantec Backup to VHD

ruan_lotter
Level 2

Good day everyone,

I am having a problem where I am converting a Symantec Backup Exec 2010 backup to VHD then using Hyper-V to start my VM.

I get the following error on boot: Boot failure. Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device.

Does anyone know of a possible solution for this?

Kind regards,
Ruan

5 REPLIES 5

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You cannot do P2V or B2V (backup to virtual) with BE 2010.  You would need to upgrade to BE 2012.  It is a free upgrade if you are on a current maintenance contract.

ruan_lotter
Level 2

Hi Pkh,

But we can convert most of our 2003 and 2008 standard servers from Symantec Backup to VHD and they start successfully as a VM on Hyper-V. The problem that we are having is with a Windows 2008 R2 Standard server. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Ruan

criley
Employee Accredited

Ruan,

Are you talking about Backup Exec (BE) or System Recovery (BESR/SSR)?

ruan_lotter
Level 2

Hi Chris,

Sorry I am actually talking about System Recovery (BESR 2010). Sofar this is only happening to our 2 Windows 2008 R2 servers... All other servers are successfully converted to VHD and started as a VM in Hyper-V.

Any ideas?

I have downloaded the new BESR 2010 9.0.4 and might try this over the weekend?

Thanks,
Ruan

criley
Employee Accredited

Ruan,

No problem. Just be aware that there is a different forum for system recovery:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/backup-and-recovery/forums/backup-exec-system-recovery

Yes, I would suggest you try 9.0.4 and see what results that gives you. If you still have problems, please post in the above forum and we'll try and help.

I assume you are backing up the system reserved partition on your 2008 R2 servers?