cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bootable USB hard drive

Linas
Level 6

I was watching the video of Bill Felt, Technical Field Enablement Manager and he was discussing the new release of Symantec System Recovery.

And he mentioned backing up to usb hard drive and you put the recovery disk on the usb drive and you can make it bootable host your backup and boot and recover all from the same drive. This would be a nice feature

How to set this up?

Will it only work for SSR2011 or will it work for BESR2010

about 6:24 into the video

http://www.symantec.com/connect/videos/overview-symantec-system-recovery

13 REPLIES 13

criley
Employee Accredited

This feature is only in SSR 2011.

You just create a custom SRD in the same way you always have done but target it to a USB drive instead of CD/DVD/ISO.

Hope that helps.

Linas
Level 6

I am still waiting for support to call so I can install SSR2011

How to create a custom SRD from management console or from client?

When creating the custom SRD on usb drive will it wipe the disk to create the SRD?

Does it need a separate partition?

criley
Employee Accredited

I am still waiting for support to call so I can install SSR2011

Can you explain what you mean by that? Why do you need support's help with this?

How to create a custom SRD from management console or from client?

Client.

When creating the custom SRD on usb drive will it wipe the disk to create the SRD?

No.

Does it need a separate partition?

It creates a 'boot' volume that it will use to boot from.

Hope that helps.

Linas
Level 6

1.How can I install the management solution by my self no standard installer unknown options

The first install  I did I installed wrong options and it was broken and not usable

The last 2 installs took hours with multiple support teck’s on the phone

If they have a hard time installing I would not be able to install without considerable training

I am currently working with support on the duplicate job running issue for over 3 month’s and the tech is not responding to requests after latest patch came out for this issue since June 1st

from ANDREAS Jun 1, 2011 7:22:18 PM Detail : Linas,

9.0.3 released today. We are readying the download now and will send instructions for the download and installation shortly.

2. I have the BESR2010 client and I found the Create Custom Recovery Disk CD

I am assuming with SSR2011 there might be a different option but similer

I did download everything I could find that has SSR in its name but its not like BESR2010 it seems I did not find a product disk

with BESR2010 there were 4 disks to download 2 recovery disks 1 product disk and 1 management solution disk

with SSR2011 only Management solution disk is the product in that DVD?

sorry I just went to file connect and found the product disk and I am downloading now

I guess there’s a “system recovery” and “system_recovery” option and didn’t try them both last time

3. I am not sure what a boot volume is?

is it a partition folder what?

i just want to know if there is existing data on the USB drive

will i loose it when the SRD is created on the drive?

should i use a new blank usb drive and once the SRD is on the drive then i can use it for Backup?

or it wont mess up my existing backup's on the drive?

criley
Employee Accredited

I am currently working with support on the duplicate job running issue for over 3 month’s and the tech is not responding to requests after latest patch came out for this issue since June 1st

As I said above, we have NOT released a patch for this issue yet. I'm not going to get into a discussion about your existing support case - that is for you and the engineer to work through.

i just want to know if there is existing data on the USB drive

will i loose it when the SRD is created on the drive?

As I said above, it will NOT delete any existing data.

Linas
Level 6

I just spoke with support and he told me that Yes the patch is out to fix the duplicate job issue And he told me it’s fixed in SSR2011 also He is sending me ftp information on ware to download the patch for BESR2010MS and for the cilients and upgrade install information

So maybe after I do this I will forward the info to you so you can test

As for the SRD usb drive I started testing I installed SSR2011 on a win7 box stand alone for now And I just found out the license key for BESR2010 does not work for SSR2011 I had to call support for licensing and they gave me new keys to use They said something about SSR still being in beta

From support

In order to activate your Symantec System Recovery 2011, we can provide eligible customers with an offline key until Symantec Protection Suite upgrades to version 4.0.
The new version of Symantec Protection Suite Enterprise Edition 4.0 is scheduled to be generally available later this year. Any customer with active maintenance for Symantec Protection Suite Enterprise Edition 3.0 will receive a Version Upgrade. Unique SSR 2011 license keys will be delivered directly to all upgrade customers via the Version Upgrade communication, which will replace the offline key.”

So users call for your new keys before you install

criley
Employee Accredited

I think we may have crossed over into a different thread. Can you explain the issue you are referring to (duplicate job issue) as I want to be sure we are talking about the same thing.

Yes, SSR requires new license keys when upgrading from BESR 2010.

SSR is NOT in BETA.

Linas
Level 6

Licensing told me the beta part 

This is the duplicate job error I am working on 

Description: Error EBAB03F1: Operation aborted.

Info 6C8F17E7: An automatic recovery point was not created because an earlier recovery point from the same job was still in progress.

Details: Operation aborted 

Then support wants me to disable Rpam I do then it brakes restore and invalidates all backups and still have the same error EBAB03F1: Operation aborted 

Oh by the way the SRD usb worked perfectly

I hooked up a new usb drive ran a backup did the SRD to the usb drive

Replaced the hard drive booted to the usb drive restored rebooted and win7 booted up well almost after logon the screen is a light blue background and in lower right on screen a message “This copy of windows is not genuine”

And the only thing I can do is Ctrl+Alt+Del

Now what?

criley
Employee Accredited

Info 6C8F17E7: An automatic recovery point was not created because an earlier recovery point from the same job was still in progress.

That does sound like the issue related to RPAM. You need to work with support about the restore/backup issues you mention since disabling RPAM as that should not happen. Disabling RPAM should have no effect on the ability to backup/restore.

So it sounds like the USB SRD worked fine (you are able to boot and perform the restore). The issue with Windows 7 following the restore really is a different issue. Have you tried restoring any other operating systems with the USB SRD?

Linas
Level 6

Yes unfortunately I will continue working with support unresponsive uneducated inept trying to support a program they are not famillure with and do not know how to support diagnose or repair

BESR you say is not in beta testing but it sure seems that way lousy support and critical aspects of the program not working and always waiting for patches that never come or breaks other parts

As for the recovery SRD I am rebuilding the pc with different version of OS we will see what happens

Thanks

Linas
Level 6

Great SRD worked

Thanks

criley
Employee Accredited

Good to hear.

bwhalon
Level 3
Partner

Hi,

I'm new to SRD and do not understand how to make the CD or USB for the recovery.  I tried the CD but it did not work.  I have now download the latest version and I am using the trial version.  It did not work either.  Is there any instructions.

Thank you for your help.

Bonnie