cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can BE 2010 and BESR 2010 be installed together?

Formula84
Level 3

Just wondering if having both solutions on the same server is supported.  I have heard of similar Image based solutions from StorageCraft and Symantec BE together cause problems, is this the case with BESR 2010?  Obviously the scheduling would be setup to not conflict with each other.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Sush---
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

BE 2010 and BESR 2010 can be installed and will work properly on the same server. But before that I would just like to provide this technote which may give a bit problem in starting the services of BE 2010.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH126790 : The Backup Exec 11, 12.x or 2010 Services fail to start on a 64-bit Operating System after installation on a server with a pre-existing installation of Backup Exec System Recovery 2010.

So my recommendation would be to install BE 2010 first before BESR 2010.

If you already have installed BESR 2010 then make sure that is upgrade to SP1 (ver: 9.0.1) or SP2 (ver: 9.0.2)  and then perform the installation of BE 2010.

Yhanks,

-Sush...

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Yes, there is no problem by installation them on the same server. BE will recognize BESR and manage it.

Andreas_Horlach
Level 6
Employee Accredited

If you do install both, stagger the backup times so they kick off separately. Also, go into the BE options and designate BE to use the Microsoft VSS Provider for backups. By default, it may attempt to use the BESR VSS Provider and lock it up during a backup, thus causing the BESR backups to fail.

Symanticus
Level 6

Yes I concur this also.

I've tried in my production environment, the only caveats is that the running backup schedule which shouldn't be overlapped each other.

Sush---
Level 6

BE 2010 and BESR 2010 can be installed and will work properly on the same server. But before that I would just like to provide this technote which may give a bit problem in starting the services of BE 2010.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH126790 : The Backup Exec 11, 12.x or 2010 Services fail to start on a 64-bit Operating System after installation on a server with a pre-existing installation of Backup Exec System Recovery 2010.

So my recommendation would be to install BE 2010 first before BESR 2010.

If you already have installed BESR 2010 then make sure that is upgrade to SP1 (ver: 9.0.1) or SP2 (ver: 9.0.2)  and then perform the installation of BE 2010.

Yhanks,

-Sush...

Sush---
Level 6

Any updates on this ?? Did you get all the information you were looking for??

Thanks,

-Sush...

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Any updates here ?

Sush---
Level 6

Are there any updates on this ??  I would appreciate if you can update the post from your end. If you have got the required Information please mark the appropriate response as Solution and close this forum post.

Thanks,
-Sush...  

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Any updates here ?