cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I make an full Image copy of my C:\ drive so it is bootable?

netconuk
Level 3

I have downloaded a trial of System Recovery 2013. I wish to create a full backup of my system disk (C:\) and in the event of a failure to install the disk into my PC and boot off it. Is this possible? Have I downloded the right product?

16 REPLIES 16

criley
Employee Accredited

and in the event of a failure to install the disk into my PC and boot off it

Can you elaborate on this please? What exactly do you mean by this?

netconuk
Level 3

Sorry if I wasn't clear. I have a blank hard disk in a USB carrier. I have my system disk inside the PC case. I want to be able to make a full image backup of the system disk to the USB one. Then if my system disk should fail, I can simply take out the backup disk from the USB carrier, insert it into my PC, connect up the SATA cables and boot up from it.

Thanks

criley
Employee Accredited

No, that's not possible. A backup just creates an image file (known as a recovery point). That image file is then used for restores, you cannot boot a machine from it.

Maybe you need to review the copy my hard drive option (see Page 319 of http://www.symantec.com/docs/DOC7717).

netconuk
Level 3

That clarifies it. Many thanks for your help Chris.

Dollypee
   VIP    Certified

Alternatively, you can do a BMR backup of your current system which includes your C:\ drive. In the event of crash, you can do a dissimilar restore which will take you back to point in time. Thanks

netconuk
Level 3

Thank you Dolly. Can you elaborate please? How do I achieve a BMR backup/restore?

Dollypee
   VIP    Certified

Hi Netconuk,

Please see following link forum for a quick HOWTO. I also have a video demo which i will forward the link once am able to lay my hands on it. Thanks.

http://www.symantec.com/connect/articles/netbackup-bare-metal-recovery-75-windows

netconuk
Level 3

I think this solution only applies to a server doesn't it? I've just got a single PC.

criley
Employee Accredited

That article is for NetBackup. Wrong product ....

criley
Employee Accredited

This may help:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH129112

netconuk
Level 3

Chris, Although titled backup and restore, it only seems to talk in depth of restoration. It doesn't mention that you can create a bootable disk from it.

criley
Employee Accredited

The backup process is very simple - just select the partitions to backup, and off you go. Refer to the User Guide for more details.

Bootable disk? To be clear; if you are doing a backup/restore, you are bringing back the machine to the state it was at the time of backup. In other words, take this example:

1. Run backup
  2. Something happens to make Windows not bootable (i.e. power cut)
  3. Restore from backup
  4. Machine is back in a good state

netconuk
Level 3

Chris, I created this thread because I wanted to know what Symantic product I needed in order to make a bootable backup disk so that I could simply open the PC case and replace the dead disk with the one that was backed up onto. (I haven't got a CD/DVD drive on this PC) On 25th March you said that this was not possible with any products which I accepted. So I'm confused as to what you are now saying. Is it passible or is it not possible? I'm on Win7 by the way.

criley
Employee Accredited

My earlier comments about the copy my hard drive option still apply.

I was just responding to the comments from 'Dolly' .....

I am not sure I understand the relevance of this machine not having a CD/DVD drive. Can you clarify please?

netconuk
Level 3

Chris - the relavence of it not having a DVD/CD drive is that (as far as I know), you can only make a recovery disk on a CD/DVD. That was why I was investigating how to make a bootable hard disk.

criley
Employee Accredited

You can also create a recovery disk on USB:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO56024