cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I restore an SBS2008 server to a vm using the trial version of System Recovery 2011?

NervousNelly
Level 2

I have to rebuild our SBS2008 server and need to temporarily put my server image on a loaner server that I have. Once my current image is on the loaner server, I'm rebuilding my current one. We're going to buy System Recovery 2011 after the rebuild, but I was wondering if I could install the trial now, run a backup of my server, and then restore it to the temp server? The temp server has Hyper-V running on it right now, so I could restore it as a VM or just blow it away and do a bare metal restore. 

Thanks. 

2 REPLIES 2

David_F
Level 6
Employee Accredited

SSR 2011 is funtional for 60 days so you should be able to use it to perform the temporary migration to a guest system, then re-image the guest system, and restore the guest system image back to Physical hardware. During this period of time you would not be able to perform cold imaging via the recovery disk nor restore a *.VMDK or *.VHD file directly.

-Dave

NervousNelly
Level 2

Your response confuses me? You say I can use it to move the server image to a temp server, but then your last sentence says that I can't use vhd or vmdk. If i can't use them how would I move the image to the temp server?