cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I use BESR on its own as a backup software?

Kirret
Level 3
Hey guys.

Sry for my question but I'm new to Symantec backup software.
As the tilte says, I'd like to know if BESR 8.5 is good enough to be used as the only backup software on SBS 2k8 Standard or is it just realy good with recovery options but not as good with everyday backup schedules?

Regards,

Kirret
6 REPLIES 6

marcogsp
Level 6
Please see my comments here:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/besr-85

Kirret
Level 3
OK, thats really useful information there marcogsp. Thanks a lot.
So in a perfect enviroment I'd have Backup Exec and Backup Exec System Recovery both installed?

marcogsp
Level 6
I consider them complimetary products.  BESR is more focused on disaster recovery, but you can extract individual files and folders from the images.  The image browser works well and extracts individual files and folders well too.   IMHO, the separate feature for file and folder backups in BESR are not as good as BEWS, (or NTBACKUP for that matter) but you could "get by" with it.

In my environment, I use BESR to capture disaster reovery images at least once per week.  I use BEWS for daily backups.  After recovering an entire system with BESR, I use BEWS to restore the data to the most recent versions captured in the daily backups.

Both products do have the capability to do incremental backups if disk space usage is a consideration.  You could use BESR as a standalone backup solution if your backup needs are simple and do not need granular recovery of SQL or Exchange databases.  Yes, BESR does have an option for granular restoration of Exchange Mailboxes/Items and SharePoint items.   The GRT option has come a long way, but there are still folks who are having trouble with it.  I still consider it a work in progress.  If you have Public Folders in your Exchange environment,  GRT can't recover those, but BEWS can with the Exchange agent installed.

Kirret
Level 3
OK, thanks a lot marcogsp

colin_marr
Level 5
Regarding public folders on exchange and restoring.

I spoke with them and they said that if you do a complete restore then public folders will be restored, however if you need to restore individual public folders (Granular) it does not support this on public folders.

marcogsp
Level 6
Sorry for the confusion regarding public folders.  This is also true of any SQL databases.  If the databases are not VSS aware, like MSSQL 2000, then you have to stop the services before imaging in order to put them in a consistent state for backup.