cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't Get USB Recovery Disk to Be Engaged

Caltorography
Level 4

Hi,

Long-time user.  Back to Ghost days.  Had the issue there, occasionally, too. 

I've created a recovery disk on USB.

I've reset the boot sequence.  But, restart with Boot Sequence set to USB, each time the restart bypasses the USB.

I've got a LigtsOut Restore.  It's visible at start up.

But, even still, that USB recovery disk just does not get noticed.  Its a new USB, too. 

Formatted again and re-tried several times.

Can't figure it out.

What do you think is happening?

This is what I see on the disk:

2021-04-09_01-02-51-733.png

Sincerely,

Cal 

5 REPLIES 5

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Don't you need to "burn" the ISO to the USB to make it bootable? --> https://rufus.ie/

Hi, Markus!

Ah!  I'll bet that's it.  11pm where I am now and...I left the wee USB at the office! :p :D  I'll give it a go and post the results.  THANKS SO MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sincerely,

Cal

Hi Markus,

There's a few options I'm unsure about choosing:

rufus-settings.jpg

What do you think would be best here?

Sincerely,

Cal

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

I'd give the defaults a try.

If you want to create a bootable System Recovery thumb drive using no third party utilities, you can do it like this:

run "diskpart" from a command prompt and wait for the "DISKPART>" prompt. Then run the following commands:

list disk <-- This will give you a list of disks seen. Note the number of the thumb drive and use that number in place of "2" below. I use disk 2 merely as an example.

select disk 2
clean
convert mbr
create partition primary
format fs=fat32 quick
assign
active
exit

Now, simply copy the contents of the ISO image to the thumb drive. You can do this by double-clicking the ISO image to open it, then just copy and paste everything.

NOTE: If your thumb drive is larger than 32GB, then you need to alter one command above since Windows doesn't like to create FAT32 volumes larger than 32GB. Replace the "create partition primary" with this command:

create partition primary size=32000 <---- You can actually use a smaller number like 4000 here. The rest of the flash drive can than be used for other things.