cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't boot custom SSRD in VirtualBox

edtech314
Level 3

Hi,

I have just purchased Symantec System Recovery 2013 Desktop Edition version 11.0.2.49853

Installed Product and created Custom Symantec System Recovery Disk (Custom SSRD) USB stick and iso file

Created new windows 7 virtual machine in VirtualBox and tried to boot from the SSRD iso file with a view to restoring an image I took from a real PC but it just won't boot.

Any ideas what problem could be ?

Are there any other ways to get my PC image (two .v2i files: one for 100MB win 7 system reserved and other for main C: volume) loaded into a VM in virtualbox?

Thanks

Ed

15 REPLIES 15

criley
Employee Accredited

VirtualBox is not officially supported (http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH201318) so this may never work.

When you say it won't boot, what do you mean exactly? Any errors? How much RAM are the virtual machines configured with?

Does the version of VirtualBox you are using support Windows 8.1?

edtech314
Level 3

Thanks

it starts off booting as normal with the "four windows" in middle of screen then goes to another screen: if I remember rightly talking about press F8 for startup options or enter to try again, neither of which seem to make any difference.

Not sure how to check for errors (log files?)

Oracle say it supports windows 8.1 http://www.oracle.com/us/corporate/press/2033376

I just created a new windows 7 (32 bit) with 1536MB ram and booted from SRD iso.

If it's "Not officially supported", are there any other ways to get my PC image loaded into a VM in virtualbox (or other free virtual software) ?

edtech314
Level 3

last post didn't appear ?! so trying again:

oracle say virtualbox supports windows 8.1

Error message is screen saying something like press F8 for startup options or enter to try again neither of which work. (not sure how to check for errors, any log files ?)

machine has 1536MB ram

criley
Employee Accredited

I just created a new windows 7 (32 bit) with 1536MB ram and booted from SRD iso.

Are you saying this worked? If not, can you increase the RAM to 2GB and try again?

edtech314
Level 3

Sorry no still not working with 2GB Ram :(

criley
Employee Accredited

You could try creating a 'vanilla' WinPE boot disk to see if this works:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh825109.aspx

If this does not work, you would probably need to speak with either Oracle or Microsoft to understand why.

edtech314
Level 3

Ok,

are there any other ways to get my PC image loaded into a Virtual machine

e.g. a tool to convert my .v2i to VHD, VMDK, HDD, or VDI ?

criley
Employee Accredited

Yes, you can use SSR to convert the image to either VHD or VMDK format.

edtech314
Level 3

ok I will try that, is it explained in the manual / user guide?

Also will it work ok as I have two .v2i files for the system reserved partition and main C:\  windows partition that I will need to make into one VMDK I think?

criley
Employee Accredited

Yes, see Page 195 of the user guide: http://www.symantec.com/docs/DOC6256.

When converting, you select the sv2i file so all partitions will be included.

edtech314
Level 3

thanks,

just checked  and I have no s2vi file, just two v2i files:

Local Disk_E_Drive.v2i
System Reserved_C_Drive.v2i

I created backup from SSRD, ie the boot disc.

Can I get a s2vi ?

criley
Employee Accredited

Backups done via the SRD (known as 'cold backups') do not produce a sv2i file.

You can still convert what you have though - you just need to select the 'File name' option from the 'view by' dropdown box.

You would need to do an online (hot) backup in Windows with SSR in order to generate a sv2i file along with a new backup.

edtech314
Level 3

Mmm,

but unless I can include both ie select both the v2i files and get them into one virtual harddrive

it isn't going to boot as the boot stuff is in the system reserved partition. Is it possible ?

criley
Employee Accredited

Are you not able to run a new hot/online backup then?

I think it may still be possible (although I've never tested it), converting the existing v2i files will create multiple VMDKs. The VM would need to boot from the active partition which is usually the system reserved. This would need to be tested to see if it works....

kqf_chris
Level 4

This is slightly related: Virtualbox 4.3.x broke SSR support -- once installed in a Windows VM the VM will reboot in an infinite loop. I was going to open a bug report with Oracle but have not had the time. Try the 4.2.x versions.