cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can you run SSR 2013 on Hyper-V 2008 R2 64-bit?

Pliny
Level 2

I have a DELL PE2950 running Microsoft Hyper-V 2008 R2

I have Symantec System Recovery 2013

When I try to install Symantec System Recovery 2013 directly onto the Hyper-V 2008 server I get this error:

"The program can't start becaue oledlg.dll is missing from your computer.  Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem"

Can you tell me if this is the best practice to run on the Virtual Host?

Or should I run this on another stand alone MS Server and backup the Virutal Host across from there?

7 REPLIES 7

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Accordning to the SCL http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH201318 this configuration is basically supported !

Answer to your question depends on what you want to achive with the backup. If you want to backup the whole Host you can install SSR at the host itself or in each individual virtual machine, which would also offer you the benefits that you could to a V2P or V2V restore to different virtual or physical machines and that you could restore indidivual files from within this virtual machines directly.

Pliny
Level 2

Markus,

Thank You for the reply to my post. I have reviewd the document you posted. I had looked at this before I started as well.

I think there may be some confusion.

The Microsoft server version that I am running is listed as: "HYPER-V Server 2008 R2"

I believe this is a stripped down version of" Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2."

The document shows support for various versions of: "Windows Server 2008" but not specifically -> "HYPER-V Server 2008 R2."

Can you verify that "HYPER-V Server 2008 R2" is supported?  (Not:  Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard Edition with Hyper-V)

If it is supported can you help me find a solution to the error about the oledlf.dll file being missing?

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Actually we've run SSR on this version of windows. Can you copy this dll from another computer ?

Pliny
Level 2

Markus,

I tried to copy the .dll from another Server 2008 R2 install, but no luck.

I have since installed Server 2008 R2 w/Hyper-V and I have been able to get SSR to load as usual, with no problems.  In many ways I think this will be a configruation that is easier to administrate.

Thanks again for your help, I'm on to converting Physical to Virtual servers, upward and onward...

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Great ! So please mark this post as solved !

Pliny
Level 2

Markus,

Actually I have not been able to get SSR to load on HYPER-V Microsoft Server 2008 R2.  Even copying the .dll did not work.

So to say this is the solution would not apply in my case.

It may be true in your case.

What is the normal practice when we have a non-solution solution?

Should I mark this as a solution?  That could be mis-leading for others with the same issue (un-resolved).

Let me know, I appreaciate your help and want to do the proper thing for the community at large.

Bill T.

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

In this case just leave this thread as it is.