cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot backup 'My Document' folder on remote computers through SSR 2013 Management Solution

karinjo
Level 4
Partner Accredited Certified

Hi,

I installed Symantec System Recovery 2013 Management Solution on Windows Server 2008 R2.

After that, I installed agent and plugin on remote computers. I plan to backup only My Document folder from remote computers.

In backup policy I only found to backup complete C: drive. There is no granular options where I can check to backup some folder or file.

Can someone give me some information about this issue?

Thanks

12 REPLIES 12

TRaj
Level 6
Employee Accredited

You should be have known Management solution does not support file and folder backup , it only supports drive based backup.

Please refer : https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/ssr-2011-management-file-and-folder-backups

criley
Employee Accredited

As already stated, you can only do full volume backups using the Management Solution.

If you have a large environment and your requirement is to manage centrally this type of backup job, I think you may have the wrong product. You may want to take a look at DLO as an alternative solution:

http://www.symantec.com/desktop-laptop-option

karinjo
Level 4

DLO sounds much better solutions than SSR Management. But then I dont understand a purpose this product, I think on SSR Management solution. 

criley
Employee Accredited

Sorry, not sure I understand your comments here ...

TRaj
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Well we have DLO , Backup Exec and SSR management solution. All have the functionality of central management , but you also need to look into things like the number of servers you need to backup and type of backup jobs you want to perform.

DLO - Desktop Laptop option , used if you have desktops that need to be managed from a central location

Backup Exec - Performs file and folder backup , it has CASO - MMS , which features into central management of server from on location

SSR Management Solution - It is specially for disaster recovery , allowed to manage around 100 server but as it is a image level backup product it does not perform file and folder backup.

If your requirement is file and folder level backup go for BE and if you only have desktops in your environment which need to be managed via central location then go for DLO.

Hope this helps !

karinjo
Level 4

Our customer bought license for his company for Symantec Protection Suite Enterprise Edition. That includes:

- Endpoint Protection 

- Mail Security for MS Exchange

- Messaging Gateway

- Web Gateway

- System Recovery Desktop Edition

So, I don't have ability to install and use them another product for backup desktops and laptops. DLO sounds like good options, but they don't have license for that.

If someone knows, when will be able to do backup files and folders with System Recovery management solution ?

criley
Employee Accredited

If someone knows, when will be able to do backup files and folders with System Recovery management solution ?

I cannot say 100% but I doubt this feature will ever make it into the management solution product. I say this because the primary focus of SSR is disaster recovery - in other words, the ability to backup and recover an entire machine. For this, you need to backup all critical volumes (i.e. volume-level backups).

Is there a reason why your customer cannot (or does not want to) backup machines via volume-level backups?

karinjo
Level 4

A Reason why customer cannot backup machines via volume-level backups?

A reason is low storage space for backup. In that company, all users save their essential data in My Documents folder. So they need management solution to backup only that folder. 

Disaster recovery is not important. Only data. Not system files.

criley
Employee Accredited

Disaster recovery is not important. Only data. Not system files.

This really confirms again that the wrong product has been chosen. DLO is what is needed here I think.

Sorry I don't have better news for you ....

karinjo
Level 4

I know Chris, but what I need to do with this customer?

They bought products/license that don't include what they need.

If I use SSR management solution, I have to install remotly, agent, plugin and software at the end,

and I only can backup complete drive, not files or folders. I use too much system resources for a little benefits.

criley
Employee Accredited

All I can suggest is that you look to see if you can get a refund or maybe swap the licenses for DLO.

You should look at DLO (http://www.symantec.com/desktop-laptop-option) to make sure it will do exactly what your customer needs it to.

TRaj
Level 6
Employee Accredited

You may either ways have to invest, either in the licenses of DLO or storage.

To check with the refund or swap you can check with the Sales.

To contact Sales refer : http://www.symantec.com/en/uk/about/profile/contact.jsp