cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot backup files, because BESR says no source files have changed since last backup (Info 6C8F1C69), even though all those backup are already deleted

ahleung
Level 3

I created a backup job that backup only selected files and folders. It ran successfully for the first time.

But then I found that I have selected some not-needed folders. So I modified the backup job, unselect those folders, and tried to backup again.

Before the 2nd backup, I manually deleted all those backup files, in order to delete the backup of those not-needed folders.

Then I executed the backup job again.

However, no backup was made. The event log said:
Info 6C8F1C69: A file and folder backup completed successfully. However, no files were backed up because none of the source files have changed since the last backup.

But as I said, all backup files made from last time were already DELETED!
Then I even deleted the backup job and created another one, having different job name, but doing the same things. But BESR kept remembering the no-longer-meaningful backup history, and refused to backup again.

So, in short:
How can I force BESR to create a new "recovery point" for a "selected files and folders only" backup job?

BESR version: 2010 Server Edition 9.0.0.35656
Windows version: Win2k8 Enterprise Edition R2 x64

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

cannelongo
Level 2

Try going to C:\ProgramData\Symantec\FileBackup and deleting the catalog.dat file.  I was having the same problem, and after about an hour of digging to find where they were storing the database for the file and folder backups, I finally found this file.  Deleting it appears to have done the trick for me.

Though there is a knowledge base article about deleting this file to resolve another issue, I think they need an article for this specific problem as well.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   
I think the last modified date of those files just need to be changed.

ahleung
Level 3

Yes, I think that should work too. But those files are internal files of some other softwares. Not sure what would happen by "touching" them. So  I hope there are other ways.

And it feels strange for BESR that, when handling "selected files and folders only" backup job,
- it doesn't check the actual existence of old backup, and
- it doesn't allow you to deliberately backup again

while it does do that when handling "whole drive" backup job.

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   
Well, I have the feeling that the file&folder backup is a little like a stepchild to Symantec.

ahleung
Level 3

Push.

Any other solution?

cannelongo
Level 2

Try going to C:\ProgramData\Symantec\FileBackup and deleting the catalog.dat file.  I was having the same problem, and after about an hour of digging to find where they were storing the database for the file and folder backups, I finally found this file.  Deleting it appears to have done the trick for me.

Though there is a knowledge base article about deleting this file to resolve another issue, I think they need an article for this specific problem as well.

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Would you please mark this post as solved ?

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

May I ask you to mark this post as solved ?