cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot do Create New Recovery Disk using Windows 10 Pro using Typical OR Advanced options

davep2344
Level 3

I just installed the Service Pack 4 for Symantec System Recovery 2013 R2 Desktop Edition yesterday.  I was looking forward to testing a restore of a Windows 10 Professional partition from a Recovery point set.  Everything installs fine for the main SSR 2013 R2 software (including SP4) but I cannot create a Symantec System Recovery Disk (USB) using the Symantec System Recovery Disk Creation Wizard because I am getting the following error messages ...

Error message after choosing the TYPICAL option for the Select Recovery Disk creation option ...  "You are not creating the Symantec System Recovery Disk on the latest operating system (Windows 10) that is supported by the product.  You can use this recovery disk to restore only Windows 8.1/2012 Server and earlier.  Do you want to continue?"

I have this exact version of Windows 10 Professional:  10.0.10586 Build 10586  (I did the upgrade to Windows 10 Pro from Windows 8.1 Pro).  I have this exact version of Symantec System Recovery 2013 R2 Desktop Edition:  11.1.4.55331.  Obviously, I want to be able to restore a Windows 10 partition from a SSR2013 Recovery point set.  Not only for Windows 8.1, Windows 7, etc.

Error message after choosing the ADVANCED option for the Select Recovery Disk creation option ...  "You have not installed the Microsoft Assessment and Deployment Kit (ADK) on this computer."  Then it shows the blue link again  ... "Windows ADK Download and install instructions".

I successfully DID install the latest Windows ADK for Windows 10 (Version 1511).  I clicked the blue link to SSRHelp "Windows ADK Download and install instructions" when using the Symantec System Recovery Disc Creation Wizard.  I successfully installed this software exactly as it says.  I don't understand why this wizard is not detecting that I DID in fact install the Windows ADK for Windows 10 (Version 1511) software.

Does anyone at Symantec have a solution to this?  Is this a "known issue" for people with Windows 10 who are trying to get the new SSR2013 R2 version 11.1.4.55331 to successfully create a Symantec System Recovery Disk?  Can somebody who works for Symantec notify the SSR2013 R2 software developers to work on a solution for this if they aren't already doing so?

18 REPLIES 18

lbyrdjr
Level 3

I have this exact same issue.

criley
Employee Accredited

I have already reported the issue with the 'typical' option to our engineering team. Details here: http://www.veritas.com/docs/000100493

Regarding the issue with ADK, I have not seen that before. What is shown when you go to the 'Creation Options' screen of the SRD wizard? Can you provide a screenshot please. Also, please confirm which components of ADK you installed (you need to install Deployment Tools and Windows Preinstallation Environment).

davep2344
Level 3

Chris Riley,

To answer your questions ...

What is shown when I go to the 'Creation Options' screen of the SRD wizard? 

Screenshot of Creation Options.png

This is what I see after I choose the Typical option and click Next ...

SSR2013 R2 11.1.4.55331 SRD creation ERROR MESSAGE doing Typical option.png

This is what I see after I choose the Advanced option and click Next ...

SSR2013 R2 11.1.4.55331 SRD creation  ERROR MESSAGE doing Advanced option WITH Windows ADK for Windows 10 installed.png

I followed the below screenshot instructions exactly.  I definitely installed the components of the ADK you mentioned ... Deployment Tools and Windows Preinstallation Environment).  I now have a folder in my Windows 10 start menu that says "Windows Kits" with a subfolder "Windows ADK" that has these programs in it ... "Deployment and Imaging Tools Environment" and "Windows System Image Manager".

Download and install Windows Assessment and Deployment Kit (ADK) - page 1.png

Download and install Windows Assessment and Deployment Kit (ADK) - page 2.pngDownload and install Windows Assessment and Deployment Kit (ADK) - page 3.png

As you might have seen, another person named lbyrdjr said that he is having these exact same issues so apparently it is not just something weird happening on my particular computer.  

I think I'll be fine using a Symantec Recovery Disk created using the "Typical" option for restoring Windows 10 Pro partitions won't I?  I'll use either the "Typical" or "Advanced" options.  Whatever works.  Do you know when the Symantec engineering team developers will have a fix for the "Typical" option since I cannot use the "Advanced" option either?  Are they going to release a new version of SSR2013 R2 via "Live Update" or what?

davep2344
Level 3

Chris Riley,

You can disregard my last post to you.  I figured out what was going on with the Advanced option on the "Creation Options".  I decided to go into "Uninstall or Change a program" in Windows 10 and uninstall "Windows ADK for Windows 10" in order to try installing it again.  After doing that I happened to notice that there was also a "Windows Kit for Windows 8.0" (Windows Performance Toolkit? - I forgot the exact name) that had probably been installed for a long time for whatever reason.

After uninstalling that software too, I downloaded and installed "Windows ADK for Windows 10" again as per the SSR 2013 R2 Recovery Disk instructions.  After doing this, I went back to the Creation Options part of the wizard and now it says "Microsoft ADK-10.0 is installed on this computer".  Looks like the SSR2013 Recovery Disk Creation Wizard is detecting the "Windows Kit for Windows 8.0instead of the "Windows ADK for Windows 10".

Microsoft ADK-10.0 is installed on this computer.png

I successfully tweaked and finished the SSR2013 Recovery Disk Creation Wizard and made the USB stick and the backup ISO file.  Then I created a backup job with the main SSR software.  I rebooted using the SSR Recovery Disk USB, I searched for the Windows 10 partition I wanted to restore and started it.  Everything worked as planned and it restored the partition just fine.

Just thought I'd pass this information on.  You might want to update your instructions and tell people to be sure to uninstall their "Windows Kit for Windows 8.0" FIRST if they have it on their computer.  Better yet, do some sort of software solution that detects the old version and uninstalls it before installing "Windows Kit for Windows 10"

lbyrdjr
Level 3

@davep2344 Thanks for posting your solution.

@Chris Riley I looked at the programs I have installed, but do not have the ADK 8 version installed.  Below is a screen shot of everything I have installed with the word "windows" in it.  Please let me know if there is something else I can provide to help troubleshoot.  Thanks.

Windows_SSR.jpg

criley
Employee Accredited

Do you know when the Symantec engineering team developers will have a fix for the "Typical" option since I cannot use the "Advanced" option either?  Are they going to release a new version of SSR2013 R2 via "Live Update" or what?

The fix is expected (date could still change) before the end of the year. More details will follow ..

lbyrdjr
Level 3

This issue is still not resolved for me.  I have tried un-installing both SSR and ADK, but still cannot create an SRD with Typical or Advanced.  Below are screen shots of what version of SSR I am running, the error message and what version of ADK is installed.  Please help.

Version.jpg

SRD.jpg

ADK10.jpg

criley
Employee Accredited

Please open a support case so the issue with the advanced option can be investigated further.

lbyrdjr
Level 3

I opened a support case with Veritas and here is my experience.

First off, they don't even have Windows 8 or 10 in the dropdown list to specify what OS you use so I chose "Windows 7"

Then you have to chose a sub OS.  I chose "64-bit Pro"

Then you get a small product box and a small problem description box to enter in your details

They also want to know your "Company Name".  Well guess what?  I had the Desktop Edition which is for Home Users or so I thought, but there is no way to specify that so I put "N/A"..

Anyway after entering in all the crap I had to to get me past all the crap I shouldn't have to I started getting e-mails stating to contact them during business hours.

Well guess what? This is a home issue and I work during "Business Hours" so I closed the case and hope maybe it will actually be resolved one day.

I will never buy another Symantec/Veritas product again.

criley
Employee Accredited

Anyway after entering in all the crap I had to to get me past all the crap I shouldn't have to I started getting e-mails stating to contact them during business hours.

Well guess what? This is a home issue and I work during "Business Hours" so I closed the case and hope maybe it will actually be resolved one day.

The assigned support engineer can work in whatever timezone works for you - just want to make that clear ...

MchBr
Level 3

I do have the exact problem that SSR claims that I do not have ADK installed. I also followed the description and made sure to install the latest version of ADK for Windows 10 V. 1511. 

With this version I was able to create a standard version of SRD, but not the advanced version.   

My list of installed programs shows:  Windows Assessment and Deployment Kit - Windows 10  V.10.1.10589.0

I tried even to install all features (not only the ones listed in the install description, no change at all. 

Best regards Michael

criley
Employee Accredited

MchBr,

Can you open a support case please?

MchBr
Level 3

Chris,  just opened a case, reference number is 21061676. 

As I was directed to the German support site, I filled in everything in German, but it is waht I wrote before here in the forum. 

Best regards

Michael

criley
Employee Accredited

Update ...

The fix for this issue (http://www.veritas.com/docs/000100493) is now available. Please open a support case to obtain the fix.

weff
Level 4

Despite also receiving this warning message for a Windows 10 Typical Create Recovery disk option (and ignoring it)  - the procedure works flawlessly for me and in Typical mode the ISO is created without any problems. So in Typical mode just ignore the incorrect error message and proceed and it should be ok.

Prior to this, on the SP3 Release the Typical Create Recovery disk options always failed with obscure error messages.

I did find that installing the Windows 10 ADK (1511 version) was quite a slow process in comparison to what I can recall when I installed the Windows 8.1 ADK. As there were no instructions to the contrary I have left the Windows 8.1 ADK installed.

With this SP4 release I have also successfully created the ISO in Advanced mode Create Recovery disk - with the Windows 10 ADK for version 1511 of Windows 10 (64-bit).

I have not had to update the license key and the full version of  Symantec System Recovery 2013 R2 (11.1.4.55331) installed right oiver the top of the previous release.   I do still have a valid Maintenance Contract for this release (expires in March 2016) but so far I have not needed to replace the Symantec license with the Veritas version which is helpful. I expect that I will need to replace the current license key when I renew the maintenance license nearer its expiry date.

As yet I have not had any issues with the release other than the incorrect warning message.

Thanks Veritas.

Geoff

lbyrdjr
Level 3

Chrome_K
Not applicable

Now I'm having this same problem. ADK for 10 installed, but still no go for SSR Disc Creation Wizard.

Exactly installed as the instruction said.

Windows 10 Pro, Version 1511, Build 10586.104

SSR 2013 R2 11.1.4.55331

criley
Employee Accredited

Chrome K,

Please open a support case as this issue is under investigation:

http://www.veritas.com/docs/000107475