Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot mount the recovery point in SSR 2011

wjtcol
Level 3
Partner

Hi,

This is a 2 week old install, on an SBS 2011 server, backing up to a folder share on a 2003 member server.  When I try to run the "Recover My Files" task, and search for a file, I get an error dialogue box appear, saying

"Cannot mount the recovery point (\\servername\d$\Backups\server_local disk0-2_drive001_i007.iv2). Result (0xe98f002c 27 RPAM_FAILED_ADD_MOUNT_POINT Args [0];)"

None of my recovery points will mount.  I am able to browse to this location.

Cheers,

Will

14 REPLIES 14

criley
Employee Accredited

Do you only see this when searching via recover my files?

Does the recovery point still mount?

Have you tried manually mounting the recovery point (browse via file system and right-click/mount)? Does this work?

wjtcol
Level 3
Partner

I've not tried "Recover My Computer", but since the only option when I click on that is "Recover Now", I don't want to overwrite the server with a 13 hour old copy of itself.

When I attempt to mount a recovery point via the file system and right-click/mount I get another error dialogue, saying just "Error E98F002C:"

However, I've also just discovered that every time I've been trying to mount an image, it's created a new drive in "My Computer" - I'll be needing to get rid of these, but I don't know how?  The drives are browsable, and appear to be the recovery points I've been trying to mount, but my client needs/wants to be able to use the Symantec console.

Cheers

criley
Employee Accredited

So it does sound as though it is still mounting the recovery points as volumes (which is why you are seeing extra drive letters). You can just right-click on these and choose unmount to get rid of them.

Can you please try and open the recovery points using the Granular Restore Option (GRO) to see if this works?

Was this an upgrade from an earlier version of BESR or is this a new install of SSR?

wjtcol
Level 3
Partner

I do not get an unmount/dismount option when right clicking on the drives in My Computer.  I've followed the help file too as below, but the Recovery Point Browser just says "No recovery points were automatically detected for this computer"  It lets me browse for a recovery location, and then shows it in a tree view, but the many other mounted volumes don't appear, and the recovery point I browse to has "Dismount" greyed out.

Dismounting a recovery point drive
All of your mounted recovery point drives are unmounted when you restart the computer. You can also unmount the drives without restarting the computer.
To dismount a recovery point drive
Do one of the following:
To dismount a recovery point drive in Windows Explorer, navigate to the mounted recovery point.
To dismount a recovery point drive in Recovery Point Browser, in the tree view, locate the mounted recovery point.
Right-click the mounted recovery point that is displayed as a drive, and then click Dismount Recovery Point.

When using Granular Restore, it gives a "Granular Restore Error", saying "Unable to mount any of the requested recovery points".

This is a fresh installation of SSR on a brand new SBS2011 server.

Thanks

criley
Employee Accredited

Can you try the workaround mentioned here?

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH157862

wjtcol
Level 3
Partner

Hi,

I've just tried that, and I get the same error "Unable to mount any of the requested recovery points".

Thanks,

Will

criley
Employee Accredited

When you tried using the 'Use alternate system index (.sv2i) file' option, were you prompted to enter user credentials to access the network share?

criley
Employee Accredited

Something else to check....

If you look in services, do you see 'GenericMount Helper Service'?

If not, try the following:

1. Open command prompt and Navigate to .\Program Files (x86)\Symantec\Symantec System
Recovery\Shared\Drivers folder and confirm that GenericMountHelperx64.exe exists
2. use REGSVR32 -s GenericMountHelperx64 to register the service
3. Verify that the service appears in Service Control Manager(services.msc)

If that works, try GRO and recovery my files again.

wjtcol
Level 3
Partner

Hello,

I tried using "use alternate system index"; it did not ask for user credentials, but as soon as I clicked on a partition to expand it and look at what it contained, it gave the sane "Unable to mount any of the requested recovery points".

I tried registering the genericmounthelperx64.exe (it was present at the location you specified), and it did not return any errors when I registere3d the service, but no new services appeared on the services list.

Thanks,

Will

criley
Employee Accredited

But do you actually see GenericMount Helper Service listed in services? If not, that is probably the root cause.

wjtcol
Level 3
Partner

Hi,

No, the GenericMount Helper Service is not listed in the services console.

Thanks,

Will

criley
Employee Accredited

That is the problem then.

When you registered the service, did you run the command prompt as administrator? If not, can you try it again to see if that helps?

FJames
Not applicable

I am hav ing extact the same problem.

I have 4 servers managed by the symantec management console.

The only server ive actually used to perform a backup is experiencing the problem described above.

I tried REGSVR32 -s GenericMountHelperx64 and REGSVR32 -s GenericMountHelperx64.exe - nothing.

Still no service added to the server even after reboot. I removed the "-s" to see the error message and it gave this:

For GenericMountHelperx64.exe:

RegSvr32

The module "GenericMountHelperx64.exe" was loaded but the entry-point DllRegisterServer was not found.

Make sure that "GenericMountHelperx64.exe" is a valid DLL or OCX file and then try again 

For GenericMountHelperx64:

The module "GenericMountHelperx64" failed to load.

Make sure the binary is stored at the specific path or debug it to check for problems with the binary or depndant .DLL files.

The specified module could not be found. 

I even tried a 'repair' from the install cd which didnt reinstall the service or fix the problem. I cant remove and reinstall right now as it seems to auto reboot after its finished installing from the management console (this server shares everyones my documents)

Help!

ablanco
Not applicable
Partner Accredited

Hello every One.

I am trying the SSR 2011  version 10.0.1.41704 with no Liveupdates available for SSR at this moment and it is installed in a vmware server running Windows Server 2008 R2 64 bits, I got up a recovery point and i asigned a password for that recovery point.

I used the Symantec System Recovery Disk and i restored the system without any problen. But when i try to run GRO and the other tools from Symantec System Recovery ive gotten the same erros you have mentioned before.

And when I run GRO ive been asked for the recovery password and when i push the password i got the error "The password that you have entered is not valid. Please check that you have entered it correctly"

When i was reading this information i was traying the solutions you have posted and the problem is still present.

Does any body have found the solution for this problem?