cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot see drives in System Recovery 2013

Alan_John_Mille
Level 2

I have just installed SSR 2013 on two new notebook computers. Both have brand new installations of Windows 7 Ultimate 64. On both machines SSR cannot see any of the drives, aside from USB external drives. Both have a single disk partitioned with a windows recovery partition, drive C: and drive D: None of these drives can be seen.

I have run PartInfo, and it reports the following warnings:

GPT Header Data:
     Signature:            EFI PART
     EFI Revision:         1.0
     Header Size:          92
     Header Checksum:      3387908366
     Primary LBA:          1
     Backup LBA:           1,465,149,167
     First Usable LBA:     34
     LastUsable LBA:       1,465,149,134
     Disk GUID:            858f6ab1-a0d2-42d9-9d17-4c708e5f1276
     Partition Entry LBA:  2
     Max # of Partitions:  128
     Partition Entry Size: 128
     Partition Array CRC:  4085436988

WARNING:  Backup GPT Header had the following problem(s):
WARNING:  Partition entry size is not supported.  Must be 128. (But it is 128)
WARNING:  Invalid GPT header size.  Must be 92. (But it is 92)
WARNING: Invalid GPT signature. Must be EFI PART. (But it is EFI Part)
WARNING: Invalid EFI version in GPT header.  Must be  00 00 01 00. (But it is 1.0)
WARNING: Primary LBA is not valid in GPT header. (But it does have a Primary LBA)
WARNING: Backup LBA is not valid in GPT header. (But it does have a Backyp LBA)
WARNING: Maximum number of partition entries is not valid in GPT header. Must be 128. (But it is 128)

It is basically saying that all of the details are not valid, when it appears that they are. This would suggest that SSR cannot read the information correctly from the disk for some reason.

Anyway, if I cannot see the drives, then it is not possible to back them up.

Interestingly, I have 3 other notebooks, ASUS R501VM's, and they are all running SSR 2013 no problems on Windows 7 Ultimate. The only difference that that I have installed a different hard disk drive in them (Seagate 750GB SSD Combos).

There appears to be a problem reading the GPT, created by Windows 7 during the installation.

Please help!

Thanks

AJ

9 REPLIES 9

PravinAmin
Level 5
Employee
Hi, Please refer to solution in if it works: https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/ssr-2013-does-not-see-disks-server-2008-r2-physical-machine Pasted here for your reference: Please see if following steps work for you. 1. Start Diskmgmt.msc 2. Right click on the disks which SSR is not able to see 3. Shrink the volume by some nominal size (1GB-5GB) 4. Stop "Symantec System Recovery" and "SymTrackService" services 5. Start "Symantec System Recovery" Service 6. Open SSR console and see if the volumes are enumerated -Thanks, Pravin

Alan_John_Mille
Level 2

Hi Pravin

Yes, that worked a dream.

I shrunk by 1GB each partition. Restarted services, and SSR can see the drives.

Interestingly, it also now sees the system recovery partitions.

Also, I then extended the partitions back to their original size, and surprise!! it STILL sees the parititions, but at the new extended size (which was the same size I began with).

Just thought I should let you know that.

Thanks for the help

AJ

PravinAmin
Level 5
Employee
Hi, Glad to know it worked. Please mark this thread as solved. -Pravin

PravinAmin
Level 5
Employee

PravinAmin
Level 5
Employee

PravinAmin
Level 5
Employee

PravinAmin
Level 5
Employee

Alan_John_Mille
Level 2

Hi Pravin

I wanted to let the thread go until I tested a complete backup under field conditions.

Good thing I have. Interestingly, overnight, both systems did backups properly (I left one with shrunk partitions, and one changed back to original partition sizes), but, when I go into SSR 2013 today, I cannot see the partitions again (on both systems).

I have shrunk the partitions again (this time getting as close to a logical boundary as I can using Windows Partition Management), and again the partitions reappear in SSR, and I am testing again tonight to see whether SSR will still see the volumes after it has completed an overnight backup.

All very strange.

Cheers

AJ

Alan_John_Mille
Level 2

Hi

Another development.

If I add a new user to the notebook, give that user admin rights, and then login as the new user, SSR will again not be able to see the internal partitions while I am logged in as the new user.

Then, if I log the new user off, and then log back in as the Administrator (which is the account I have been setting SSR 2013 up in), I have lost view of the partitions again in SSR. Unless I again extend or shrink the volumes I cannot see the partitions.

So the work around suggested above, while it seems to work as a one off situation, does not seem to stick, and also seems to disappear for each new user that is created.

Surely this would suggest that it has something to do with the rights or permissions, rather than a process.

Cheers

AJ