Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cant repair / modify or uninstall backup exec syatem recovery 2010

simon4
Level 3

Evening,

Im after some pointers here. ive googled this one to deth

I have backup exec system recovery 2010 running on SBS2008

for some reason this whole app stopped working wont even open. So i want to repair the installation.

If i try repair / modify or remove from add / remove programs or teh original CD I get the error

Installshield DLL custom action>

File 'C|program files (x86)\symantec\Backup Exec Stem Recovery\agent\spnregister.dll' can not be found.

I have tried getting extracting this file from the cab on the installation media and putting it into the correct location but no good.

I have tried this manual remove

http://www.ehow.com/how_6470454_uninstall-backup-exec-system-recovery.html

but when i do a fresh install after it fails with related errors.

Also installed on the server is symantec endpoint security and backup exec 2010 small business server. (so I cant delete the C:\programfiles\symantec folder and repair th registry after.

Any pointers apreciated

Thanks in advance

Si

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Andreas_Horlach
Level 6
Employee Accredited
12 REPLIES 12

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Try the MSIZAP utitily  to delete the product from the windows installer database and manually remove the files afterwards.

KarbonKopy
Level 4

I have to agree with Markus, it's probably in the installer database and once removed will install with no problem. Run into that with SEP more than my share of times!

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Have you had a chance to try ?

simon4
Level 3

Morning, I had to wait for a weekend ot do this.

HAve done the msizap, and proceeded to reinstall. I now get the error "install has detected a newer version of this technology. To install symantec backup exec system recovery 2010, symantec backup exec system recovery 2010 9.0.1.36527 must first be removed through add / remove programs"

I have renamed the program files folder for it and am now booting ht server. I will then clean the registry and reboot then try to download the newest version of the software.

Will let you know the result later today

Si

simon4
Level 3

Ive downloaded the latest version (BESR_2010_9.0.2.37914) I was  previously installing from BESR_2010_9.0.1.36527

The two attatchments are the error im getting, then the screen shot of whats left in MsiZap

My next plan is to go throought the registry manually & remove. Can anyone recommend me a regisrty tool that will search then let you delete multiple enteries ?

Thanks in advance

Simon

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

I think it should be sufficent to remove HKLM\Software\Symantec\Backup Exec...

simon4
Level 3

altghought that registry key does exist, there is no sub or seperate key for system recovery.

Please see attatched the screen shot of the error im getting now along with a view of the registry key for backup exec expanded,

Andreas_Horlach
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Have you tried this? www.symantec.com/docs/TECH66685

simon4
Level 3

got slightly further...

I now get error attatched.

When i search the registry for unknown\components it dosent find anything

I have found a key with that name and changed its permissions to system and admin have full control but no change (have put back after)

Have also booted the server a few times,

Have also ran ccleaner on the registry to tidy any dead ones

really doing my fruit now

Andreas_Horlach
Level 6
Employee Accredited

To rule out security settings, try the following to restore the security settings to the default settings:

1. Login as the administraror. Then open a command prompt. At the command prompt, type (or copy and paste) this:
    secedit /configure /cfg %windir%\inf\defltbase.inf /db defltbase.sdb /verbose
  2. You receive a "Task is completed" message and a warning message that something could not be done. You can safely ignore this message.
  3. From the command prompt, type
    %systemroot%\syswow64\regsvr32 %systemroot%\syswow64\wshom.ocx, and then press ENTER. If you are running a 32-bit operating system, type this instead:
    %systemroot%\system32\regsvr32 %systemroot%\system32\wshom.ocx

Once done, try the install once again.

KarbonKopy
Level 4

I had the exact same error as Simon, and after follow ing both posts by Andy I am happy to report back it did indeed install. Crazy.

simon4
Level 3

Thankyou for your help ladies & gents. Took a lot longer than id have liked but good fix either way

Have chosen to mark two posts as solution

Thanks again, Till the next time...