cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Coexisting Veritas System Recovery and other vendor's backup software (Arcserve)

mk128935
Level 5
Employee

Hi,

A customer of mine has a question about running Veritas System Recovery and another vendor's backup software (AcrServe) within the same server. According to what they were told recently by our support, apparently they were told that "we may refuse support if the environment has another vendor's backup software within the same server". But in reality, this customer has been running both SSR 2011 and Acrserve Backup r16 within the same server and they were able to get support should an issue arise with System Recovery.

<Current Configuration (since 2012)>
- Symantec System Recovery 2011 Server Edition
- Arcserve Backup r16

They're planning to upgrade the current environment to the following but were told the above and they're very worried and concerned that they won't be able to get any support.

<Next Configuration (from 2018 and beyond)>

- Veritas System Recovery 18 Server Edition
- Arcserve Backup r17.5

So they're asking the following:

Q1: Our understanding was that coexistence was allowed in the current configuration of 2012 but when did this change?

Q2: Is there any documentation(release note, manual, etc.) or statement that says coexistence is not supported? 

My understanding is that it's the customer's responsibility and risk in using both System Recovery and the other vendor's backup software at the same time because we haven't tested such a configuration and cannot make any guarantees. I don't think we're going to slam the door on them and say we won't support them at all should they run into an issue with System Recovery, correct? But we may ask them to not run the other vendor's backup software at the same time in order to resolve the issue on our side. What do you think? Is this kind of thing documented somewhere? 
---------------------------------------

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

criley
Employee Accredited

@mk128935

In my opinion, support should not be refused. However, using multiple backup products on the same machine may prove problematic depending on backup schedules (obviously these should not overlap) and potential VSS-related conflicts.

Problems should be investigated first before making such a statement. If necessary, the other vendor (in this case, Arcserve) may need to be involved to assist in resolving any conflicts or problems.

If you can provide the case number where this statement was made, I will follow-up on this for you.

Hope that helps.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

criley
Employee Accredited

@mk128935

In my opinion, support should not be refused. However, using multiple backup products on the same machine may prove problematic depending on backup schedules (obviously these should not overlap) and potential VSS-related conflicts.

Problems should be investigated first before making such a statement. If necessary, the other vendor (in this case, Arcserve) may need to be involved to assist in resolving any conflicts or problems.

If you can provide the case number where this statement was made, I will follow-up on this for you.

Hope that helps.