cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Computer Name after a Recovery Anyware

dmcmillen
Level 4

How should I handle the Computer Name on an RA from one machine to a new machine.  The new machine is going to have the same name after the RA as the old machine which I will still have on the network and you can't have 2 computers on the network with the same name.

Should I keep the new computer off the network until I can change one of the computers names?

Thanks,

David

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

No it will not delete the old files when renaming the computer.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Yes, I'd change the computername of the old one.

dmcmillen
Level 4

Thanks Markus.  Just curious -- how does ssr handle a computername change . You have the computername.sv2i files that were there before the name change. Does it rename them to the new computername or does ssr create new sv2i files in addition to the old ones? -- David

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

The naming of the sv2i file depends on what is configured in the backup job on this machine. So just renaming the machine does not change that.

dmcmillen
Level 4

In my case:

the image/incremental backups of the System Reserve and C: drive results in a file POWERPC.SV2I

the image/incremental backups of the E: drive results in a file POWERPC.sv2i

the image/incremental backups of the F: drive results in a file POWERPC.sv2i

the image/incremental backups of the H: drive results in a file POWERPC.sv2i

where POWERPC is the computer name. Note these are all in separate directories.

NOTE:  SSR creates this file automatically for each backup.  To my knowledge, it is NOT something that the user configures.

If I change the Computer Name to ABCPC what will happen? Will SSR create a new ABCPC.sv2i file and leave the POWERPC.sv2i files or will it delete the POWERPC.sv2i files? What is the expected behaviour?

-- David

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

No it will not delete the old files when renaming the computer.