cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Computer marked with a red X in agent, hence cannot open/redeploy.

Johnny_Lauridse
Not applicable
I just installed the trial version on our server (2003 SP1).
It installs fine, without errors, however when I try to open the agent the window flashes for a second showing the recovery/backup features, and then returns an error: "error: (retrieving information...)".
The event log returns the following error:
------
Description: Error EC8F1780: Cannot successfully reconcile changes since last session. Error EC8F1771: Cannot enumerate the current drives on this system. Error EC8F03EC: Cannot initialize the Storage Management Engine. Error EC8F1C25: CHECK failed, Ldm::DatabaseImpl::GetVblk: .\LdmDatabaseImpl.cpp(242): v.GetSignature() == "VBLK".
Details: Unspecified error

Source: Backup Exec System Recovery
------
The server has three SCSI drives and they are mirrored with W2k3's software RAID.
Could it be the software RAID?
It is not a credentials issue - the user has administrator membership.
Since the server is in a remote location, it is administered via terminal services - could this be the problem?
Does anyone have an idea for a solution?
- John
8 REPLIES 8

amal_graafstra
Level 3
I also have a similar error with LiveState Recovery Advanced Server 6.0.2, and it used to work before on the machine in question (a dell NAS device). Only after adding new drives and spanning them using windows RAID did we have problems.

We left the OS drive alone: basic disk, standard MBR primary partitions. But, we converted the storage volume we had and the new drive we added to GPT dynamic disks, then spanned them using windows to create one large storage volume. Since then we get the same symptoms and this in the error log:

Description:
Error EC8F1780: Cannot successfully reconcile changes since last session.
Error EC8F1771: Cannot enumerate the current drives on this system.
Error EC8F03EC: Cannot initialize the Storage Management Engine.
Error E6F10001: The Ldm database cannot be used.
Details: 0xE6F10001
Source: LiveState Recovery

Uninstalling/reinstalling does nothing. Looks like Symantec needs to do something about this problem pronto and release an update for whatever engine they use in these various products. I can't even get the thing to image my OS drive, which is still just a basic disk and with a standard MBR primary partition.

techno_nerd
Level 4
John and Amal,

These errors have several different issues, and to resolve them you need to locate your maintenence agreement and call support to resolve them. I believe the number is 1-800-927-4017.

Thanks,

Technonerd

amal_graafstra
Level 3
Actually, I heard this error is the same error... the symantec engine not only doesn't have the ability to image drives used in an OS stripe set, it fails with a catastrophic error. They are working on an update release that will still not image those drives, but will not error out and allow users to image non-striped drives. That's the last I heard from support anyway.

techno_nerd
Level 4
Amal,

Do you mean software RAID as opposed to hardware RAID? So the program fails when it uses software RAID?

Thanks,

Technonerd

amal_graafstra
Level 3
Hi Technonerd,

Yep, that seems to be the issue. When software RAID of any kind is setup, even a spanned volume (which is not technically software RAID), the Symantec engine totally borks leaving you unable to even image straight up basic disk, MBR, non-raid volumes.

I assume that hardware raid is not the problem because I had a hardware raid setup before and it worked fine. The problem showed up when I had to span two logical drives using software RAID in the operating system.

I'm still waiting for a fix... I've got thousands of dollars in licenses sitting useless because I can't even image the OS volume, which is what I really need to do anyways... the spanned volume just holds data files that are handled by regular backups.

Anyone from Symantec on this one?

techno_nerd
Level 4
Amal,

I believe Technical support can get you a new DLL file that will address this. It should work fine with software RAID.

Thanks,

Technonerd

reza_akhlaghy
Level 4
Hi

I can confirm that problem IS related to software RAID, I contact support
about that issue month ago and they gave me that DLL but it does not solve
my problem (possibly it will solve other, dont give up)

The interesting thing is, that system does not currenly have RAID active
(it has it sometime, but now drives converted to basic and reformatted
but it seems something still remains on them!!)

Ken_Mahren
Level 4
I have a SATA hardware raid on some of my servers.  Very similar systems.  On two out of 5 servers I push the agent successfully, it reboots and starts the services successfully, but when I try to reconnect, the console shows the server for a brief second and then errors.

In the event logs on these servers I find:

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Backup Exec System Recovery
Event Category: High Priority
Event ID: 100
Date:  4/1/2007
Time:  7:47:24 PM
User:  N/A
Computer: PINESVR1
Description:
Description: Error EC8F1780: Cannot successfully reconcile changes since last session. Error EC8F1771: Cannot enumerate the current drives on this system. Error EC8F03EC: Cannot initialize the Storage Management Engine. Error E0BB000D: Device \\.\PhysicalDrive0 LBA 312581807 is beyond the end of the drive.
Details: 0xE0BB000D
Source: Backup Exec System Recovery
Will send this to Symantec on Monday... and if I'm feeling especually masachistic I'll try telephone support.