cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Computer will not Boot

Misterdj
Level 2

Am a current Ghost 14 user and had a need to backup and restore our control servers and clients on the plant floor which are now using Win7.  Found out that Ghost 14 no longer works on Win7 and through research found the SSR2013.  Through many trial and errors was able to backup and restore a server and the backup worked well.  Found a newer version of SSR2013 on the net when finding the recovery disk.  The initial recovery was with an older version 46600 and the newer recovery disk version 47662.  Installed the newer version which seemed to indicate Service Pack 1 on the server and made another backup since we had made changes.  Restored that to our backup server which we use in case the first goes down.  Now the backup server will not boot.  It will initially boot and run setup through the first time.  When it reboots the second time it crashed on starting services.  I try the old recovery that initially works and it also crashes now in the same place.  The only things I have changed in the system since the first good recovery were the installation of 47662 on the running server.  On the backup server I had a wireless card that did not have a driver and I loaded that through the recovery disk hoping it would take care of that.  I am somewhat thinking this may be the culprit but cannot figure out how fix the situation.  Any help would be great.  HELP!!!!  We need our backups since we work in a dirty environment and computers come here to die!!! 

6 REPLIES 6

Andreas_Horlach
Level 6
Employee Accredited

It sounds like when you restored the second time when the failure occured, the system went to different hardware. Can you confirm that when you ran the same test with 46600, it worked, but fails during the 47662 test?

We'll help you get this server up and running.

Misterdj
Level 2

That is true.  The recovery worked with the 46600 backup but then failed when I upgraded the computer to 47662 and that backup and tried to restore.  Unfortunately now even the 46600 backup/restore no longer works when I try and restore which does not make sense.  Thanks for any help!!!

Andreas_Horlach
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Is this a domain controller? Also, can you describe the crash a little bit -- what you see on the screen before the crash?

Misterdj
Level 2

I think I explained everything pretty well in the first comment but here goes again.  This is a controls server running Win7.  It runs SCADA software to collect data and to show what is going on in the plant.  There are clients that connect to it and they are also just regular computers running Win7.

The system crashes after the first round of setup when starting windows.  After the restore the system goes through a series of setup sessions.  At least that is what the first GOOD recovery did.  I think it went through at least 3 different setup sessions before starting for good.  On the failed recovery it goes through one setup session adding devices and starting services.  It finishes the first setup session and restarts windows and starts the second setup session.  It says "Setup is Starting Services" and then fails with the message "The computer restarted unexpectedly or encountered an unexpected error.  Windows installation cannot proceed.  To install Windows, click "OK" to restart the computer, and then restart the installation."  It now does this with all backups.  I am considering using a different USB drive for the backup and starting from scratch.  I also do have a Windows installation disk and am considering reinstalling Windows.  Thought I would give you guys a chance first.  I spent a day trying countless efforts but always end up with this same result.

The drivers I loaded with were with the recovery CD "Load a Driver" utility.  I am concerned somehow a driver I loaded is stepping on something.  Unfortunately I do not know where these drivers get stored.  Are we sure these are not the culprit???  It is the only thing that has changed other than installing the newer recovery software.  Unless the backup files got corrupted somehow which is why I am considering getting a new backup and trying that with another device.

Andreas_Horlach
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Because you have a system down, you should call into support and request a tech support case be opened so we can capture the crash error and find out what is happening. If you tell the technician that you are in a 'server down' state, it should push your call to the front of the queue.

Misterdj
Level 2

What number do I call for tech support.  I do not have a support ID or contact ID which seem to be required for support.