Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Configuring BESR 2010

wilky81
Level 2
Partner

Please can someone advise on the configuration of BESR 2010 

We are using Small Business server 2003 with an internal RDXD drive which we have 5 drives for. 

I am trying to find the best way of setting this up, so that the end user has a stable dialy backup of there entire SBS 2003. The SBS 2003 server uses the usual services, Exchange, DC, File , Printer, SQL

I currently have it configured as the following 

Using the recommended recovery point set full backup and have left all other default values apart form the schedule which is set Monday - Friday

Someone has advised this below 

Couple of issues that you may encounter is that the RDX drive may not be the best solution as each cartridge may register as a unique hard drive and thus the backups fro BESR may become disjointed.

We also have Backup Exec 2010 , would you use this product for backing up anything or just stick to using BESR 2010

4 REPLIES 4

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

I'd go for BE2010 if you have the licenses and the necessary agents for you server AND disaster recovery is not your first concern. Afaik you can also install both BESR and BE on the same server, so you can protect it with BESR for disaster recovery and with BE for data recovery.

wilky81
Level 2
Partner

Thanks for your comments but i was looking for some specific details on the configuration. 

I have has another thought, which would be to implement the following 

Use BE to backup exchange, system state SQL to a folder

Then run daily BESR image. This would be configured by using the independent recovery set option  and setting the recovery points to 1 and also tick the box to removed previous backup once complete.

This should then provide me with a Full system backup on a daily basis. 

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

When using BESR this way don't forget to inlcude  a systemstate backup in the pre command: http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH78136

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

May I ask you to mark this post as solved ?