cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Configuring BESR to work with RDX Drive

aychekay
Level 5
Partner
Does anyone have experience with configuring BESR (7.x or 8) to work with an RDX drive? Many of our clients are using BESR with the RDX drive and anywhere from 2 to 5 RDX "cartridges".

We are having some problems configuring this backup because BESR isn't aware that we are removing the cartridges.

Problems encountered:
1. BESR 8 doesn't "see" the name given to each RDX cartridge so it goes only by drive letter, like previous versions of BESR
2. BESR attempts to delete old restore points but it isn't intelligent enough to know that the restore point it's trying to delete isn't located on the cartridge that's in the drive. It then deletes the entry in the BESR database but the file remains on one of the other RDX cartridges.
3. Cartridges cannot be assigned a different drive letter (if they could be it might be a workaround for the problem)

8 REPLIES 8

David_F
Level 6
Employee Accredited
You may want to review the following technote document:

Suggested Practice of Storing Symantec LiveState Recovery / Backup Exec System Recovery Points to Removable Disk Drive media

http://support.veritas.com/docs/295314

Or use the RDX drives as an Offsite option instead.

WEBIT_Services
Not applicable
Partner

Our problem with backing up to the RDX is most of the time we can't eject the RDX Cartridge because a file is in use from SR8 even though nothing is being backed up.  Any idea on how to release the file in use so we can eject without having to unplug the RDX unit?

Thanks,

Chad

aychekay
Level 5
Partner

R_H_2
Level 5
I would be interested in knowing if that works for you.  I would appreciate it if you would PM me with the results if you try it.

Thanks!

aychekay
Level 5
Partner
I personally am uncertain whether this problem is caused by BESR, RDXMon, a combination of those two, or some other software. We have maybe about 5 or 10 BESR and RDX installs that are not having this problem and only one or two that are having the eject problem.

R_H_2
Level 5
The root cause is exactly what I am trying to figure out.  If I am able to figure that out, I may be able to help get the proper parties involved and get a fix for the problem instead of a workaround.

aychekay
Level 5
Partner

I got some great news on the eject problem.

I've confirmed that BESR (and probably BE) does something funny when the RDX cartridge gets full that doesn't allow the drive to eject. Killing the BESR service(s) does not allow the cartridge to eject either so a full reboot is required.

Solution:

Use a script to delete old backup files before starting the backup to prevent the RDX cartridge from running out of space.

Chris_Alaimo
Level 3
Symantec recently updated BESR to allow the eject button on RDX / RD1000 to work properly.  The new version is 8.5.3.   

This post has some more information: seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/315695.htm.

Also, check out the forum on www.rdxstorage.com/ for more information about RDX and RD1000: forum.rdxstorage.com/index.php.