Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Convert v2i to vhd

Tomis
Level 2
Partner
Hi,

I have BESR and tonigh I have to P2V migrate one Microsoft SBS Server 2003 with two NIC cards. This SBS is Domain Controller and it has to be virtualized on another server with Server 2008 including Hyper-V role (which accept vhd files).

So, I will create backup (image) of phisical computer - into v2i file. Well, I've never started conversion to vhd so please I need advice to do this.

During migration, what will happen with virtual machine - it will be demoted as Domain Controller or...?

Thank you in advance
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Tomis
Level 2
Partner
Hi,

I migrated main server! Problem was at boot manager and corrupted boot.ini file. Thanks.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

AJT
Level 6

-Open the BESR Consol
-Select Tasks from the menu on the top
-Select One Time Conversion
-Select Microsoft Virtual Disk (.vhd)
-Select your backup to convert, you can choose view by file to search for your v2i.
-Leave Run Windows Mini-Setup selected

The DC will not be demoted and should come by OK. Be sure not to let your production network see the DC, unless this conversion is for your production network and not a test. Have your SBS product key handy, you may need to re-activate once the DC is booted after the conversion.

-Hope this helps :)

PS: Let us know if your P2V was successful.

Tomis
Level 2
Partner
Hi,

I have BESR 8.5.3 but cannot find Task and One time Conversion (while booting from CD). Can you please explain this further?

Other way: I'm able to create backup file (v2i) and I setup ISO file which inclued that v2i. Then I mount ISO file on CD with starting machine and on Recover option I cannot selet "set drive active (for OS booting)" because it's grey. What can resolve this?

Regards.

AJT
Level 6
You must install BESR and run the P2V from within the running OS. You can only create a V2I (cold backup) and perform a V2P ( from either a VHD or VMDK) from the BESR SRD. You may also take a V2I to another machine which has BESR installed and perform the P2V there.

Tomis
Level 2
Partner
Hi,

I migrated main server! Problem was at boot manager and corrupted boot.ini file. Thanks.