cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Converted .sv2i SBS2011 image does not boot

Oliver_Buckie
Level 4

We use Symanatec System Recovery 2011 (latest updates installed) to backup a Windows Small Business Server 2011 Standard (fully patched). The source server has 2 MBR hard disk volumes:

sbs2011-partitions.png

We wanted to do a P2V migration of this server to a VMWare ESXi 5.1 (build 1065491). We used VMware vCenter Converter Standalone Client (5.1.0 Build 1087880) to directly convert the .sv2i backup image to the ESXi.

The conversion was successful however the new VM does not boot - simply a white cursor appears on the black console window - nothing more.

Any ideas what the problem could be?

23 REPLIES 23

criley
Employee Accredited

Oliver,

As you are using a different vendors product to do the conversion, it's difficult to give you any help/advice here.

If you upgraded to SSR 2013, you could use this to do the conversion (SSR 2011 does not support ESX 5.1 but 2013 does).

Any chances you can test again using SSR 2013 SP1 for the conversion?

Oliver_Buckie
Level 4

Thanks Chris. I am sure that we checked the SSR 2011 SCL last month to see if it was compatible - the SCL was changed at the beginning of May ;O). Just checked again, yes you are right, only SSR 2013 supports ESXi 5.1. Will download the 60 day demo and re-try.

Thanks, Oliver

criley
Employee Accredited

Oliver,

OK, let us know how you get on with SSR 2013 SP1 then...

Oliver_Buckie
Level 4

We have updated to SSR 2013 (11.0.1.47662) - this did not help the issue, same problem. I assume this is SP1?

I then tried to backup just the C:, D: & E: partitions (left out the hidden Dell partitions) - now the vmconverter has a problem reading the image with error "fault.ImportSourceFault.summary".

Any ideas what we can do here?

criley
Employee Accredited

Yes, that is SP1.

Have you tried using SSR to do the P2V conversion?

Oliver_Buckie
Level 4

Only with the 2011 version. However, after 30 hours of restore time I gave up!

FYI, I hung the USB HDD on the ESXi Host. Created a new VM with the correctly sized partitions and included a USB Controller & selected the necessary USB-HDD. I then booted off a SSR 2011 recovery CD, pointed to the image on the USB-HDD and off it went. After 30 hours I gave up because the program said there were still 99 hours to go! The problem is probably the large 1.2TB D: data volume.

criley
Employee Accredited

I meant a P2V, not a restore. And we have already discussed that ESX 5.1 is not supported with SSR 2011.

Can you try a P2V (go to Tasks/Conversion) using SSR 2013 SP1?

Oliver_Buckie
Level 4

Yes, I also tried a P2V via the SSR 2013 Tasks/Conversion menu. I tried to convert directly to a ESXi machine - however, at the page where I could choose the server/datastore, I was not able to login using my normal vSphere credentials. It mentioned that these were wrong.

criley
Employee Accredited

What's the exact error you see? Can you provide a screenshot?

criley
Employee Accredited

Oliver,

A screenshot of the error would help. Can you also confirm the update level currently installed for ESX 5.1.

I want to test this here but I currently don't have access to a 5.1 server. I'm working on this but it's likely to take at least a few days to get access..

Oliver_Buckie
Level 4

Chris,

As requested, below are screenshots of the whole process right up until the error:

ssr-2013-restore-to-esxi-1.png

ssr-2013-restore-to-esxi-2.png

ssr-2013-restore-to-esxi-3.png

ssr-2013-restore-to-esxi-4.png

ssr-2013-restore-to-esxi-5.png

Yes, before you ask... I have defined the correct IP for the ESXi server and am using the correct login credentils ;O)

criley
Employee Accredited

Oliver,

Are you able to open a support case for this so that I can work more closely with you?

If yes, please reply with your case number.

Oliver_Buckie
Level 4

I have opened support cases in the past - please let me know the URL so that I can log a call. Should I then reference you?

Thanks, Oliver

criley
Employee Accredited

You can open a case here: https://my.symantec.com/

If this does not work for you, you can also do it via phone: http://www.symantec.com/business/support/techsupp_contact_phone.jsp

Just reply back here with the case number.

Oliver_Buckie
Level 4

Chris,

I think I have just found the issue - I turned off my proxy in IE and voilà, I can now browse the datastore! Feature request: prompt for a proxy ;O)

I have just set off a conversion... which will run tonight. Hopefully tomorrow morning we will see the results!

BTW, the wizard ask for a temporary location for conversion files. Do I need to have the volume sizes which I am restoring as free disk space?

criley
Employee Accredited

That's good to hear.

No, the temporary location only requires minimal disk space - certainly nothing like the total volume size or used space of the volumes that you are converting.

Oliver_Buckie
Level 4

Well, the job finished successfully after 7.5 hours! To note: almost 50% faster than a vmware converter job which took around 14 hours!

Now I have 2 .vmdk in my datastore. How do I bind them to a VM? Have you a HowTo for me?

criley
Employee Accredited

You need to create a new VM and then just simply add these VMDK's in as new disks.

However, I see a potential problem here - your earlier screenshot showed that a single VMDK is being created for both C and E. Because of this, I wonder if the server will have trouble booting. If it does not boot successfully, you may need to run the conversion again and select the option for 'Create one virtual disk per volume'.

Oliver_Buckie
Level 4

Exactly my problem... I created a new VM and added the 2 VMDK's as new disks - the server does not boot. Before I do another conversion and 'Create one virtual disk per volume' , just a quick question. My image does not contain the 2 hidden Dell partitions (1 x 32MB and 1 x 3GB NTFS Recovery) - could this have something to do with my boot problem?