cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating a system recovery disk

epe
Level 2

After upgrading to VSR21 I cannot create a new bootable recovery disk, so I'm still using an old SSR13. This works so far, but it would be nioce to be able to create a recovery disk that reflects my present system.

Microsoft no longer include the necessary files to create the disk. I have tried the recommendations by Veritas like installing the suggested Windows ADK 10 (Deployment Tool and Windows Preinstallation Environment), but that didn't solve the problem.

Any suggestions?

Regards

Erling P

3 REPLIES 3

akihiro1
Employee

1. Please download adksetup.exe and adkwinpesetup.exe from the below URL, and install both of them.

ADK 10 1809
https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=2026036

ADK 10 1809 Windows PE Image
https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=2022233

2. Please select [Tasks] -> [Create New Recovery Disk...] in Veritas System Reovery console.
  "Veritas System Recovery Disk Creation Wizard" will appear.

3. Press [Next].

4. Check [Advanced] and press [Next].

5. Proceed the SRD creation wizard. 

Note: You do not need to select "Enable LightsOut Restore".

6. Press [Finish].

7. The ISO for SRD is created after the completion of the wizard.

If you experience any issues, please let us know which steps fail and please collect the error messages and screenshots.

Hi Akihiro,

No success. What I did:

1. uninstalled Windows ADK 10 (and all traces)

2. installed Windows ADK 1809

When running the SRD creation wizard it stops with a error when creating media. Apparently it cannot access the boot-folder which is hidden, but present as I can access it from a "command prompt" but not through "Windows Explorer" although view is set to show hidden files/folders.

Attached screenshots.

Erling

akihiro1
Employee

Could you try to create a SRD iso file on another computer? You are able to install the only SRD wizard from VSR 21 install media on the computer. In addition, please install ADK 10 1809 on the computer.

Or please log on as Admin user that has a short name like Admin or VSR. I have seen the similar issue when logging on as a long user name (like xxxxx.yyyyy). The SRD wizard tries to copy files for SRD in C:\Users\<Username>\AppData\Local\Temp\.... and it sometimes fails to handle files when the user name is long.

C:\Users\<Username>\AppData\Local\Temp\.... is a path that is registered as TMP variable for the user.