cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Custom Recovery CD

ralphy006
Level 3

Hi all,

I'm a bit confused on how exactly creating the Custom Symantec Recovery Disk works. I have read the instructions on how to create one, but have found all the instructions to be quite vague.

I noticed that the instructions say that if I lose my Symantec Recovery Disk, I can still create a custom one from scratch.

But any time I go to create a custom recovery disk and try to use a blank CD, it always tells me to enter in a valid SRD. I was wondering if I should have been able to create a custom recovery disk starting with a blank CD, if I happened to lose my SRD. Or if I always have to start off with the original SRD.

I happen to still have my SRD, so I put it in the drive, and then it copied certain files to a temp folder. Then it gives me an error saying it could not write to the media. So I enter in a blank CD. It writes to the disk and all seems fine and dandy. Is what I did the appropriate procedure to create a recovery disk?

My next question is, should this new CD I created be the same as the SRD but with the additional drivers?

Thanks for your time

2 REPLIES 2

CQ
Level 5

You always need the original SRD or the files from the original SRD stored in a folder on your PC.  If you lose or damage your original SRD you can go to the licensing portal and download the iso file and make another SRD.  The answers to your final 2 questions are both yes.  Be sure to test your custom SRD.

RRE
Level 6