cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Custum Recovery Disk: computer does not boot from disk

tullaman
Not applicable

My computer (Windows Vista) does not want to boot from my Custum Recovery Disk. It keeps using the OS on my main drive.
However, not so long ago, the Recovery Disk worked just fine. Why does the computer bypass the DVD Disc

8 REPLIES 8

criley
Employee Accredited

You may need to change the boot order in the BIOS to boot from DVD first.

w-d
Level 4
Employee Accredited Certified

Additionaly, to boot from DVD/CD you need to press any key at some point (see what is displayed on the screen). Otherwise it will bypass it in few seconds and will boot from the drive

rengels
Not applicable

Thanks for your prompt reply. I did think of this solution. I placed "Onboard of USB CD-ROM Drive" in the first position of the boot sequence.

Unfortunately, it did not make any difference. Can you think of any other possibilities? Thanks again. (Note: I changed "tullaman" to "rengels")

criley
Employee Accredited

Have you tested the SRD in any other machines? If not, can you?

What did you use to burn the SRD onto DVD?

WTurnley
Level 3

Hello Chris,

I am having the same problem with the SRD ISO I have created.  I have SSR 2013 R2 Desktop Edition 11.1.4.55331, and created an ISO to burn to a disk.  Well, the ISO creation went fine and I burned in to a disk, using Nero.  So, left the disk in and restarted . . . The disk isn't recognized as a boot disk.

Now, the reason why I know it is the ISO, is because I have the ISO from SSR2013 R1 and burned that to disk and it works!  Now, of course, it's not installing the same version of SSR, but it IS recognized by the OS (Windows 10) as a bootable the disk (yes the BIOS is configured to look for bootable CD/DVD's).  The disk from SSR 2013 R2 is NOT recognized as a bootable disk.

So, what should I do?  Open a ticket?

Please advise.

William L Turnley

criley
Employee Accredited

WTurnley,

Can you check that the ISO is bootable? You can use MagicISO to confirm (http://www.intowindows.com/how-to-check-if-an-iso-file-is-bootable/)

WTurnley
Level 3

Hello Chris Riley,

I ended up opening a ticket on this . . . the ISO wasn't bootable.  I worked a bit on it with a Tech and he took files to analyze.  The Tech called on Monday (3/29), to tell me there was a fix and this issue was known.

Unfortunately, I was unable to work with him on the call due to a family issue.  Hopefully, I will hear from him this evening (3/29).  I will let you know the solution if it's postable.

Thank you for your help on the MagicISO app'.  It definitely helped!

William Turnley.

criley
Employee Accredited

William,

Thanks for the update.

I'm curious though because I am not aware of this known issue. Could you please provide your case number so I can follow up on this?